smtp test email problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smtp test email problem

Hello all, I am new to actinic and am just trying the default site with my host (1and1) before building building my site for real. I have managed to upload the site ok thanks to posted settings by you guys but I am getting problems with email, these are the error messages I get:

test results.
    Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
    server: passed
    connection: passed
    sockets: passed
    communications: passed
    authorisation: passed

message just blank, then when I run configure I get the following message:

"an error occurred while sending an HTTP request to the web server,
    perhaps the network is down or the web serveris down."

I have tested the email address by sending a message from another account and all is ok.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Mick

Welcome to the community Michael.

Check in your network settings that you have exactly:
    SMTPHOST auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk

and also have 'username and password required' unchecked.

Comment

email problem

Hi Duncan.

Thanks for replying, I cut and pasted the setting just to make 100% certain. The result is still the same - all passed except the message field.
      Is it possible it might be a setting on the host email server that is mismatched or a bug in the program.

Thanks again

Mick

Comment

Unusuaal 1and1 is usually easy to set up. Double check your settings against:
        http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28934

You could also try localhost instead of auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk

What 1and1 package are you on... Linux Bus, Bus Pro or Professional; or MS Hosting etc.?

Comment

Hi Duncan.

I am on 1and1 Linux Business.

I have rechecked all network settings etc they are all ok.
          I have tried localhost instead of auth. etc - even less success.

I have also checked email settings on the 1and1 account they seem to be ok but there is a note saying "to send email using the SMTP-Server activate SMPT authentication". it also says port 587 can be used. Any idea how to achieve this or do I have contact 1and1?

cheers

Mick

Comment

I don't recall ever having to activate SMTP authentication. It may be referring to using a username and password to send email - as can be done in Actinic - if so then check 'username and password required' and fill in the info and retry. (I've never heard of this being needed though - normally this is not used and left unchecked)

Where exactly did you see the 'note'?

Comment

Hi - I have been having the same problems.

Just noticed that Duncan's reply suggested "one" instead of the number "1" in the SMTP server address: auth.smtp.1(one)and(one).co.uk

I had the same error message as you - changed the "1" to "one" and it all passes network tests.

Spoke twice to 1&1 and they never mentioned that.

Re. the line about authenticating smtp - they said once you set up an email account on outlook and send a mail - that basically does it. There's nothing on the control panel to do that.

J
              YoPo Music - the UK non-MCPS buyout production music library.
              www.yopo.co.uk

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that info guys, I got the bit about using (one) instead of 1 thanks to the network postings although as you say 1and1 do not tell you that in their instructions, you may have the answer though because I have not set up my email with outlook, I have only tested with webmail access.
                If you rekon this automatically authorises the smtp server I had better have a go.

Thanks again guys, will let you know if it works.

Mick

Comment

Hi, just to let you know my progress - still not sending email from actinic.

email account works with outlook - send and reply using hosting email address. Actinic still not recognising smtp server.

here are my network settings, they look ok but someone might see an obvious mistake:

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                  HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                  HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                  HTTPPROXYUSER
                  HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                  FTPPROXYMODE 0
                  FTPPROXYADDRESS
                  FTPPROXYPORT 21
                  FTPPROXYUSER
                  FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                  SCRIPTID 1
                  SCRIPTEXT .pl
                  SMTPHOST auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk
                  WEBSITEURL http://www.domain.co.uk
                  IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                  USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                  PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
                  USEENHANCEFTP true
                  FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
                  FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
                  FTPSILENT true
                  FTPMAXRETRIES 3
                  FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
                  SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
                  SMTPUSERNAME
                  SMTPPASSWORD
                  CATALOGURL http://www.domain.co.uk/acatalog/
                  CGIBINURL http://www.domain.co.uk/cgi-bin/
                  PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
                  CODEBASE ./
                  FTPHOST www.domain.co.uk
                  FTPUSERNAME ----------
                  FTPPASSWORD ---------
                  PATHTOCGIBIN /domain/cgi-bin/
                  USEPASSIVEFTP true
                  FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

I have entered my email and web site address into the contact us details, do any more of these fields need to be completed before it sends a message?

very confused

mick

Comment

Have you got the correct email address specified in business settings?

Comment

The settings above look correct. If as Lee says your email address is also correct in the business settings then I'm not sure what else it can be.

You could try creating another email address, send and receive an email to your self at that address using outlook then change the business settings to suit and retry the network test.

If you'd like to email me the full network settings as well as the business email address and it's password, I'll give it a try from my end.

Comment

Hi guys, double checked settings again including business email and web address settings - ran test still the same result, message at end of list just shows a "-" not "passed" as other fields, but the message box then says network setting correct etc.

Ran a web configure wizard - still says error with smtp server.

I then checked outlook just in case and there were 3 test messages from actinc, 2 from last night, and 1 just sent, seems to be working in spite of error from web configure.

Still confused but what the heck its working now!!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Just a quickie question regarding workflow in setting up an actinic site.
                        Is it better to put some test products in first before looking at css layout etc or decide on look of pages first?

Thanks again

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by micksteele
                          ...Just a quickie question regarding workflow in setting up an actinic site.
                          Is it better to put some test products in first before looking at css layout etc or decide on look of pages first?...
                          Personally I get the outer layout 95% complete in DW then bring it into Actinic and test the layout on the default Actinic products before adding any others.

Comment

Michael,

That "Message -" is what you get when everything is OK. It's an informative field where any error message text returned by the SMTP server would be displayed. The "-" entry means that no error message was returned.
                            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

just a quick thanks for your help and with my email problem guys, I have just downloaded the AUG, looks very impressive, should keep me quiet for a few days, from what I can see actinic is very customisable.

thanks again

Mick

Comment

Working...
                              X