Small Office Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Office Network

Hi All - trying to work out the best way to set up a small office network to use Actinic with some off-site access.

We currently have 2 PCs in our warehouse office and a laptop which is partly based there and allows for off-site working. Actinic is currently on one machine (along with Sage) and we are thinking of getting the multi-user liscence but I would like to set up the office so that all computers can access Actinic (even if 1 at a time) and so that the laptop can access it when off-site.

Any suggestions on the recommended set-up would be well received; off-site server, VPN, warehouse based server, etc...

We currently use v8.04 and host with 1and1.

Thanks
    Rob

ni personally i use actinic on one machine, turn off the monitor and leave base unit running 24/7

and remote access via www.logmein.com

256bit secure web based, so no software to install on any pc, just need internet access

but i dare say there will be loads of diff opinions
    Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
    Current project:
    cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
    cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
    Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

logmein etc are ideal for remote access but for office networking the best solution would be MU.

Next best I think would be running VNC or remote desktop on the other office machines and, as Gareth says, keep a dedicated machine for your Sage and Actinic software.

Comment

Don't forget to factor in a robust backup process into any new hardware or systems you are implementing. Sage. Actinic Snapshots etc
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Thanks guys

What's the performance like with logmein? Have looked at a couple of similar products but never tried any.

Also, does anyone use a virtual/dedicated server type setup off-site to host and run actinic? Not sure if this is feasible.

So far it looks like MU and office based dedicated machine.

And yes - lots of backups!

Rob

Comment

Beware of MU the speed on anything other than main machine is like wading through treacle, Actinic view "we are working on a new version to fix this"

Comment

Thanks BusPassJohn - have read mixed things about MU so still weighing up the options.

Still interested to hear if anyone runs actinic from a virtual or managed server.

Cheers
              Rob

Comment

Personally, we installed Actinic on a Windows server, set that machine to order processing only, then installed Actinic on network clients and opened the MDB file and linked tables over to the same tables on the server.

Worked to the extent of everyone being able to access orders from any PC, with folks working on different orders simultaneously... but it stopped any stock control from functioning.
                Cheers!
                Marci - <a href="http://www.Over-Clock.co.uk" target="_blank">www.Over-Clock.co.uk</a>

Comment

the fastest solution, is

hamachi, from the logmein people, together with ultravnc.

ultravnc is currently the fastest windows VNC solution.

hamachi, is currently the simplest windows VPN solution.

this however, is single user only, from the remote location.
                  though i fear that the ting you want, i'm coding this very second into Actinet and its not ready yet!

Comment

Working...
                  X