Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copy the store across to a laptop

wonder if anyone can help me here?
    I have built a few actinic shops for other folks, but have recently actually built a little one all my own (ahh). It's up and running, launched last night in fact and though I am not yet a millionare through it (yeah right) I have come across a small problem.

I am running Business Multisite on my main PC and am going away for a few days, wanting therefore to copy the site (and do any order processing .. well we can hope can't we?) from my laptop which I intend to take with me.

Though I don't use the laptop normally with Actinic it has upon it a happily working copy of v8.5.1 Designer as a 'just in case my big one goes fizz' backup.

I exported the file as a deployment from the Office PC, tootled off to the Laptop opened up Actinic there and when I attempted to File > Snapshot > Import Site, I got the wizard's first screen, selected the .acd file off the CD and then ... Actinic crashed and burned (tried to several times now and Actinic crashes every time). It is allowing me to create a new site on the laptop .. but not import this one.

Something I am doing wrong surely?

any idea what?

My first 2 questions would be:

Is the multi-site version also on 8.5.1 on the main PC?
    Have you tried on a different medium to CD, just in case the CD is kaputt?

Comment

v8.5.1

mm .. just checked and both are v8.5.1, CD was brand new with nothing else on it .. but I'll try it again with a fresh one.

Wouldn't be to do with one PC being set up as Multisite and the other as Designer (I can't see much difference at first glance to be fair but it was built in Multisite on the main PC)?

Comment

Why not set up a copy of MU on the laptop which you are quite at liberty to do
        Chris Ashdown

Comment

I would work on the basis that the snapshot is corrupt and causing the crash.

Comment

ok ..

well I will wander off for a few minutes and take a fresh CD (full of a variety of snapshots and the update patch to 8.5.1), my original MU installation disk and start from there. watch this space.

thanks to all for their suggestions .. hopefully this will work.

Comment

huzzah!

right well that all worked a treat.

Naturally, as my original installation disk was v8.0.0.0.0.0 I needed to UNINSTALL it first, delete all the folders under the C:/Program files/Actinic v8/ from the previous installation (I'd never built a site on the laptop so there was no worry about losing anything vital by deleting these site folders) then reinstall the software (this time as Business Multisite), update it to v8.5.1. then try that site import. Used the original one I'd exported .. not corrupt as it turned out .. so no crash and a perfect import ..

I can now have upload and order download on the laptop .. tip top !

So a HUGE thanks to all .. VERY much appreciated (I was a bit worried there for a minute) .. I can now safely potter off for a few days away from the office safe in the knowledge that I'll be able to access the millions of orders that undoubtedly wil be flooding in over the next three or four days whilst I am away... I will potter over to the Aston Martin website later and choose the colours (8-))

This was also the first site I'd built in v8 .. it's loads better isn't it !!? Also Bought, Best Sellers, Related Products .. all very neat! Unfortunately, because I needed the site up very fast I even used a very slightly modified template (I know, I bit my lip a bit) .. but we'll get over that when I have an day or two spare to spend (the templates are still yuk on the whole .. and it was a case of something fast and dirty - and a choice of the least unpleasant one would have to do).

Even though I had a fair bit of experience in v7 Developer, v8 was miraculously quick to build a site in though ... very good indeed.

So, once again, thanks everyone! .. I really appreciate everyone throwing their thoughts in so quickly .. this truly is a brilliant forum! .. goodness knows what I'd do without it! Who in their right mind would use a different piece of software with this kind of support available??

Comment

Working...
              X