V8 LE25 Free version warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 LE25 Free version warning

A client contacted me recently and asked for a V8 design to be applied to his free copy of V8 off the back of .NET magazine. No problem - designed it on designer and today took the snapshot to import to his V8.

Import failed due to incorrect version being imported ie 8.5.1 from me to his 8.4. OK I thought I can see exactly what is going to happen if I upgrade his V8 to 8.5.1 ie its going to go to the 30 day trial and he will loose his LE25. Call to sales to check what is going to happen and they confirm that its OK and he will still be able to use LE25 - 5 minutes later and following upgrade he now has the 30 day trial and lost his LE25.

Sales pass me to tech support who have no understanding what I am talking about so ask me to raise a ticket. Now I have the reply that there is possibly no upgrade option for users of the LE25. Im still awaiting the final story but all I have at the moment is he will need to buy a full version to get his site back.

Hes not happy - Im not happy. So be warned if you are asked to design a site for someone who is using the cover disk version of LE25 be prepared to add some cash for upgrading unless Actinic can come up with an answer in the next 29 days Im stumped with the cost of Catalog

I'm sure CD recently wrote in the forum that the free edition was 8.4 and could not be upgraded. Which for me is fair enough, if free editions can upgrade also, i think it takes the piss out of people paying for actinic.

This doesn't excuse actinic's apparent misunderstanding or complete lack of knowledge on the phone though and in this case i think they should provide a free copy for your client. If they give bum info, they should expect to wipe up after.

Comment

AFAIK LE25 [free] has never been upgradable from the patch level burnt onto the free disk. The magazine it comes with normally has detail of a limited time upgrade special offer.

I would expect (possibly) you to be able to apply a design to his 8.04 as long as your copy is 8.04 - at a stretch.

We've always avoided LE25 freebies like the plague, and never taken on any work from people with LE25 [free] as we've always felt its limitations would cost us more in time than the clients initial saving.

I remember this upgrade limitation from v6 days as the free LE25 that was released before paypal integration, thus freebie users could never hope to get PP.

Comment

Source another freebie and import customers original snapshot to at least `get going` again?
        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

AFAIK LE25 [free] has never been upgradable from the patch level burnt onto the free disk
          V7 LE25 freeby was - I still have several clients working with it.

I know I could get a design going if I used the same version but he was moving from another cart system and wanted to test it out with a decent design first. If Actinic give out a free version then its a marketing ploy that IMO works well - its a pity that its not upgradable especially with all the bugs in V8.

Comment

Source another freebie and import customers original snapshot to at least `get going` again
            Not quite that easy as they had no original design. The site is working ok just it will shutdown in 29 days.

As I say V7 didnt have this problem so I thought I would let you all know.

Comment

Working...
            X