Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now then to work ??

Hi all

Yes I am your latest no clue newbie trying to find his way in the dark.

I have a 5 page site, home,about, contact etc to this I want to add a purchasing option for 100 max items. For sale to joe public.

Do I :

Tag actinic onto the back of my site if so which version and poss a clue where to start.

Import my 5 pages into actinic from Dreamweaver and make it all actinic, again which version and if I do this will I lose my site as I know it

Well this is just the beginning and I can feel a long slog coming on

Cheers
    the tiler

Welcome to Actinic Tony.

You should really start out with V8, although I'd go to the Actinic website and compare the features of catalog and business to be sure there are no features in business that you feel are crucial. Otherwise go with catalog as a good entry level.

I'd then look to having Actinic create all your pages for you.

You can use dreamweaver to create the overall design of the site, and use brochure pages to replace the current 5 pages you have for contact, about us etc.

Be sure to read the getting started guide that comes with the software and make good use of the documentation, the knowledge base and the forum. Although to keep us all sweet always remember to search both te forum and KB before asking any Q as most things will already be covered.

Other than that Good Luck and enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Business is often the best long term solution unless you know for sure you do not need any of it's extra features - which most people eventually discover they do once the site has matured and they need to expand it.

If you only have a few existing pages best to integrate these into Actinic. It will take time initially BUT it will save hours of maintenance down the line... best to get everything under the Actinic roof.

When you create your new pages inside Actinic you can call them the same page_name.html so as not to lose and search engine listings.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
        When you create your new pages inside Actinic you can call them the same page_name.html so as not to lose and search engine listings.
        If you do have to rename them (or anyone else for that matter) it is not an issue with the SE's as you can add a line of code using a prd 302 into your .htaccess.

But that is for another day.

All of the above are spot on BUT IMHO you may as well plum for Business as within 3-6 months you will want the extra marketing features et al.

Using DW, as J states above, just actinify them once yo have them inside actinic and maintaing them inside.

Important note....keep all your site content in one place as this will be vital when you begin with AV8
        Good luck.
        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

To keep things simple I would suggest just using Actinic from the box for the whole site to start with, ignore what you have already and you will be starting from a clean sheet and have no extra problems whilst you learn

Once you are set up then start playing with DW if you feel the need

First think get the site up and running consentrating on SEO as you do the descriptions and image names etc, then you should start getting on the search engines and making money. Then if you feel the need start experimenting
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi

Well I have managed to register my home page for brochure and an outer structure for the other pages I think. So far so good I think except there is no bloody save button so am on edge that if I go onto the next page I will lose what I have done is there no way I can see my work building up. Scarey stuff !

tiler

Comment

Hi Tony welcome onboard, if you want to use you existing webspace to test and not destroy the current site you have put actinic in test mode this will then work in a test directory on your website and you can play until your hearts content.

When you happy switch it back, actinic will delete your test directory and upload your new site

good luck and as stated ask any questions but do a search 1st, some here will be quick to reminded you of existing threads

Cheers
              Darren
              ps watch out for the goat

Comment

Originally posted by tiler
                Hi

Well I have managed to register my home page for brochure and an outer structure for the other pages I think. So far so good I think except there is no bloody save button so am on edge that if I go onto the next page I will lose what I have done is there no way I can see my work building up. Scarey stuff !

tiler
                Tiler

No save button required mate, when you change focus (move from one product to another for example) or APPLY CHANGES they are then saved to your local site.

HTH
                Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                X