Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grouping Links to Subsections

Hi,

On our site we have a different section for each printer manufacturer and below this there is a subsection for each printer model, e.g.

http://www.inkandmedialtd.co.uk/acat...artridges.html

As you can see, each page that displays printer models from a particular manufacturer displays it all in one big list. I can use more than one column, but I would like to be able to do something like what you see at Cartridge Monkey:

http://www.cartridgemonkey.com/index...4fb47eb20b0dc7

Notice how the links are grouped by printer series such as Designjet and Deskjet.

Is there an easy way to do this in Actinic? I don't want to use Javascript to generate the links because I suspect it could interfere with some search engines which is a big problem for us. I'm a bit wary of using an extra section level because we have a "search by printer" system that relies on there being 3 section levels.

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

I can only think of using "dummy" sections and use them as separators for your groups.

You could totally customise the section layout so it looks like a separator rather than a section and set the column count to 1.
    Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Hi Toby,

That's a good idea and I must admit I hadn't thought of it. The only problem is, I really want to use two columns to list subsections, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this if I use this method.

I might have a go at completely redesigning the section list layout code to use CSS instead of tables.

Thanks,

James

Comment

Hi,

I have kind of got it working. I now have a different problem though. The dummy sections are showing up in the javascript arrays I use to build the drop down boxes for site navigation. Is there any way to get round this? I've tried unchecking the Include in Site Map check box but it makes no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Hi James,

Sorry for the late reply.

Might be able to do this will conditions. Ill take a look....
          Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Lara from support has compiled a set of instructions on hiding section names from section list.

1) In the design library, create a new variable in the 'Section' group. Make this settable at the section level, inheritance is optional and dependent on the user. Needs to be of typetrue/false, top level and initial value set to to 'true'.

2a) If using list layout inserted via 'TopLevelSectionList' selector (Executive themes), just open the list layout, select the 'TopLevelSectionLink' selector then insert condition and in there just type in the variable name.

2b) If using list latout inserted via 'SiteMapSectionList' selector (Best Seller theme), open the list layout, select the 'Site Map Section Link' layout, click insert condition and then put in the custom variable. Need to be careful with subsections here as they can appear odd if they’re included and parent section isn’t.

2c) If using section list inserted via JavaScript (Smart theme) you’ll have to wait, I need to play around with getting the condition in to the Java Script that generates it. I’ll have a think over the weekend and get back to you Monday.

Let me know how you get on.
            Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Working...
            X