Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Info Help - Please

Hi all

I am finding Actinic very-very very sloooowww. Ever since enabling Extended Info Popup Pages for each product.

I tried Popup Window or in Same Window same result, disable extended info popup page and speed becomes bearable again.

The more Products in a Section the slow it gets. I mean really slow, over a minute change section or apply changes, this is with only about 15 products in a section or about 2 seconds with no products in a section.

I will have to disable extended info for the moment and search a new Ecommerce product as this is unusable for such a light loading, this will mean months of work down the drain, plus the financial costs. Unless anyone has a solution.

Regards
    Sean

15 products in a section is a small amount of products, so by default it should not be that slow. I know of sections which have probably near enough 100 products in a section, and it is more than usable.

It might be down to the amount of variables or code added which Actinic needs to work on each time you work in a section, but as I dont know what is in your sections or variables, this is just a possible suggestion.

If you have the preview on when you are working in the sections, then try switching that off when you are working at the data level, which will speed things up dramatically.

Comment

I just been looking into custom variables.
      I am using about 22 in each Extended Info Page.

I tried it with default layout "Name and Info Text Displayed Right of Image"
      and that speeded things up, down to about 5sec for 15 products.

So why are Custom Variables sooo sloooww. I using them for specification Info.

Sean

Comment

Cheers tech-support

But unless there is a way of speeding Actinic up (I can't disable preview, or atleast if I toggle off "page preview" window, it still works in the background).
        This speed issue seems a major flaw to me. I could write a work around for it, using Microsoft Access and Visual Basic. But I shouldn't need too.

To me, your table structure for Custom variables is very flexible, but needs cross tabulation to get the column/row structure back again, which I guess is slowing it all down, especially if you do that for every product in a section, individually.

--

One thought that comes to mind is to link to an external database using PHP from layout to get required data. Next problem how to reliable link to external database for each product. Don't fancy keep opening and close at connection for each product.

Sean

Comment

Ok hands up. I found the main problem. I am using "open In same Window". So I have copied layout from before and after main INNERLAYER to popup page layout.
          The only trouble is this ran some PHP code for each extended Info page, which was designed to run only once when uploading. So I just disabled it in popup page and we are at about 10sec for 15 products now.

This draws me to the conclusion that Actinic must generate all the Extended Info Page previews that are enabled in a section, when a section is selected, even though they are not viewed on preview page.
          Actinic doesn't need to do this, unless Extended Info Page Preview is on, and then only for one product at a time. This should be reasonably easy to do.

Also could you please bring back the preview on/off button.

regards
          Sean

Comment

The preview off button is a small black x in the top right corner of the preview panr. The on Button is the menu option Window | Restore Initial View Layout.

Actinic generates all the code required for the entire site every time you do a full preview and every time you upload or refresh your website. And every time you change something that affects your currently open desktop views that will also cause regenration of at minimum all code required to re-render the currently open desktop views.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Cheers Bill

I tried this, but it only stops the preview display window. That makes it about a second quicker what ever you do. It doesn't turn off background preview code generation/checking.

I understand that all the code would need to be generated to upload site.
              But I just don't get why Actinic has to generate most of the section code for simple changes or even just selecting different section. ie Tick group pricing box for a product, click apply and wait and wait some more. This should be a near instant apply change without preview on.

Sean

Comment

Working...
              X