Error when setting up and testing Network Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error when setting up and testing Network Settings

Hi, I am trying to upload my site and am having a nightmare.

When I go through the Network Set Up, I get green ticks all the way down until it gets to "email". I am having problems at the moment with my ISP relaying, so I know there is a problem with the SMTP, but if I do not select the two email choices, it just times out with the following message:-

The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI script extension, the path to CGI-BIN, and the CGI-BIN URL. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts.

Has anyone any idea at all what this could be. Urgent help required.
    Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what?... Wait!...Where are you going?

You might want to repost in the Network and Upload Problems forum, and additionally tell us who your host is, what type of hosting you have (Windows/Linux) and perhaps attach your network settings (after removing passwords/usernames).

You might even find your host already covered in that forum.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Many thanks I will have a look, I am also contacting my Server Provider, I ran a Network set up for each individual setting and it cannot find the path to Perl, according to them the path should be usr/bin/perl but when Actinic asks me to locate the folder and copy the path across, I cannot find it.

To get anywhere close i have to navigate up to my root directory and then I can get to usr/bin Is it a hidden file?? Then Actinic says that it can't navigate to that directory from the CGI-Bin.

I am speaking to the "supreme support" team and have passed on this problem.

As regards Perl though, does it need to be in the same directory as the CGI-Bin, so if my directory was public-html/cgi-bin should my perl be public-html/perl or public-html/usr/bin/perl.

What would a typical path be?

Comment

/usr/bin/perl is fairly standard as a path - the actual installation folder is usually in the real root of the server and shared by you and all the other people hosted on that machine. Possibly the host has an error in the server configuration file on the actual machine you are on.

[edit]Hi Duncan [/edit]
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi Thanks

I've just set the file to not send emails (not in the network settings, but in the business settings) then the network set up completed, but then warned me I needed to send emails so should set up an SMTP server.

I'm not doing this at the moment because I'm changing ISP's so while I am testing its not a problem.

I will read the other posts though thanks very much for answering me.

Comment

You will have to use a SMTP server address provided by your host for it to work with Actinic, you cannot use your ISP settings. In most cases using 'localhost' (without the quotes) without authentication selected works.

Kind regards,
            Bruce King
            SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks

Hi, just to advise I changed to localhost and it fixed the problem.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X