QQ about custom variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QQ about custom variables

I'm trying to set up a variable for "size" on all my clothing items so that I can add it as a refined search option.

I have a quick question. I've got the variable set up and it's showing in the product "properties", can I put more than one "answer" in this prompt? Or is there a way of putting more than one in? (eg, if an item is a size 12/14...can I enter 12 and 14 somehow?) Separating them with commas? Will that work?
    I don't really want to start adding too many different "answers", I'd prefer to make it searchable by single size (10,12,14 etc) rather than dual sizes as well (10, 10/12, 12, 12/14 etc) as this would make the search list too long.

Also, I have some products set up as a main product with size choices and hidden associated products. I guess I give the values for "size" to the main product as that's where any given size is ordered from? Again, I really need a way to give more than one size in the properties as some of these are available in 6+ sizes.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could tell me if this is possible.
    Many thanks
    Tracey

ok..having played with this a little, I can see it' not going to be as simple as just separating them with commas. All this does is give an option in the variables dropdown for ALL the sizes entered in one row...and not individually.

I really hope there's a way I can give dual sizes without having to present them as dual sizes.
    I'll keep fiddling until someone in the know might be able to help

Editted to say, I currently have the variable set as "text" because I was experimenting separating size options with a comma. If I set it as a "number" it doesn't allow me to use any sort of separator between sizes

Tracey

Comment

ok...I thought I'd got this sussed...but only 80% so

Items that are listed in more than one size section I can work around by giving each occurance of it (in say the size 10 and size 12 section) it's own section size (I've made it editable in the duplicates settings menu) so I can sort these.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to treat the items listed outside of the size sections..such as the nursing tops (which are listed in a separate "nursing tops" section)

I have a main product listing all the size choices..so it covers 6 sizes..how do I list all these sizes under one custom variable so it is searchable, when I add that variable to the search properties, by the customer selecting just ONE of those 6 sizes?

There must be a way to give a variable more than one value, isn't there?
      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by the eternal optimist
        There must be a way to give a variable more than one value, isn't there?
        Sorry Tracey, not the answer you want.

A variable can only have one value, the same as a person can only have one name. If Actinic allowed substring searches, it would be possible to do what you want..

Try looking for an alternate external search engine that you could use as an alternate to the inbuilt Actinic search.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

ok...thanks Bill
          At least I have a definitive answer now
          I'll give it some thought, cheers
          Tracey