Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What convinces Actinic a site is upgraded

[Begin Rant]
    Recently installed v8.5.1 HFUA on the new laptop. Brought all WIP including my own sites in from v8.5.1 HFUA snapshots off the other machines.

Actinic still insists on trying to 'upgrade' the current site every time I open it.

No problem, I thought, I'll just tell it to not upgrade my site. BUT IT STILL OVERWRITES ALL MY SCRIPT MODS. It makes a log - great - NOT. If the log it made was immediately opened within the wizard, then I could recover more quickly, but no. I have to go hunt the log, open it, hunt the files Actinic just destroyed and bring them back to where they belong. Then, I have to check that the changes I made are REALLY still there in the recovered files...

Let's get an 8.6 that gives control back to the site owner out before we worry about GC or any other minor benefit addition.

Turn off the automatic upgrader and make it a user choice before I heave this machine off the 11th floor balcony.

Please, please, please, please, please.
    [Rant over - for now]
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Bill i could not agree more, i have to change my shopping cart scripts, my contact us scripts, my order scripts everytime i do an upgrade.

Most of the changes i make should be a choice in actinic but they are not

Comment

Ive had this argument with actinic on the phone a few weeks ago - it used to be only major updates that overwrote the scripts but now it seems it happens very time.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with what you say Bill!! Just transferring from one computer to the next has become a bit of a nightmare!!
        -----------------------------
        www.synchronisedwebdesign.com

Comment

I can see the reasoning for upgrading between versions but not transferring twixt machines.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
            I can see the reasoning for upgrading between versions but not transferring twixt machines.
            Hi Jont,

I've got very long arms, but not that long!!

One's a laptop, on which it was built, and when that goes walk-a-about, needed it on desktop to update etc!! LOL
            -----------------------------
            www.synchronisedwebdesign.com

Comment

A big agreement from this end too Bill.

Lost count the amount of times we have to re-enter mods and update those blimming OCC files

Regards
              Daren
              Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
              Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

I keep being drawn towards using Protx as PSP (move from WP) but to be honest its posts like this that make me think I'd rather pay a little bit extra and never have to touch an occ file or do any maintenance to keep protx files current.

it would drive me mad to have to keep fiddling with occ s everytime i upgraded or moved machines.

I must admit I only make changes to scripts under conditions of utter torture

Comment

Working...
                X