problems importing v7 site to v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems importing v7 site to v8

when i import the site, the main product "skeleton" is there but a lot of the actuall products and attributes are not there

is there any way to remedy this??

i amm really stressed out as my boss wants the site to go live today and there still loads to do

thanks in advance

If you are bringing them in via flat file import, they will not be there, you need to either use a v7 snapshot or a hierarchical export to bring it all in. You may as well tell your boss to lay off too, his hopes will probably be shown to be pipe dreams. Tell him getting it right is far more important than the timescale.

Comment

how are you upgrading from 7 to 8?

You should be doing this using a snapshot from 7 and imprting to 8, this should bring all your products across.

if youare importing using csv then this will not work.

Data corruptions on upgrade are best dealt with by phoning Actinic suppport as they will probably need to see the database.

Ask you boss to chill , as it is unwise to try to upgrade in a day, where's your testing time?

Comment

I am importing a version 7 snapshot but it does not import all the product listing structure, its only in certain product groups, i have a section called special offers and they dont import.....could it to be with products being duplicates

Comment

any advice folks???

Comment

any advice folks???
            YES Accept the fact that you are NOT going to get it done in a day - even as a designer I have not done an upgrade in a day. There are issues with duplicates but these should have been fixed in the latest software version if you are current.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
              YES Accept the fact that you are NOT going to get it done in a day - even as a designer I have not done an upgrade in a day. There are issues with duplicates but these should have been fixed in the latest software version if you are current.
              hi

I am sorry id didnt mean i ahd to do the whole upgrade in a day, i meant today was mean to be the deadline but i am away behind

i have tried all day to import or merge the to catalogues but i cannot do it.....is it possible or should i give up

Comment

Perhaps you could take the time to explain what you have been doing for the day. Upgrading from V7 to V8 is certainly not easy, but one of the easiest parts of that task is actually getting your products from V7 into V8. You either have a serious problem on your V7 snapshot or you are not doing things correctly. Either way, you may be best to get some help, either from actinic support or a designer.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                  Perhaps you could take the time to explain what you have been doing for the day. Upgrading from V7 to V8 is certainly not easy, but one of the easiest parts of that task is actually getting your products from V7 into V8. You either have a serious problem on your V7 snapshot or you are not doing things correctly. Either way, you may be best to get some help, either from actinic support or a designer.
                  Thanks Lee

the situation is this.....my IT guy who worked here before me imported the v7 snapshot into v8, but not all the products and attributes/choices where copied over, i didnt realise this until a few days ago and now i either need to import some of the old catalogue data or else neter it all in manually

i have tried loads of different combinations but none work

i have:
                  my original upgraded site v7 up to v8
                  i have my old snapshot with the data i need thats in v7

i can now import the data from 7 to 8 in a new test site and it carries over all the info.....but then that leaves me with the v8 site with some old data and lots of new data thats been manually put in, i cannot combine these to catalogues even when i go into the product tables and delte the data that give errors, like images and tax set up

im a bit disapointed that this cannot be done as now its down to manual input, which kinda negates the point of having a computer and software

Comment

If we are talking quite a few products, can i suggest you research hierarchical exports and you can then use this knowledge to merge two catalogs.

If it isn't that many products, just get your head down and plough thru, it's surprising how much you can do if focused, always seems worse that what it is.

It sounds like an utter mess to be honest and you need to make some hard decisions on what to do. I'd scrap V8 completely, import the V7 snapshot into a new V8 site and start again on a clean slate.

Good luck.

Comment

Would cut and paste work between the two V8 catalogs?

Regards,
                      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                      Multichannel order processing
                      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Jan

Regards,
                        Hi Jan

Is it possible to have more than one instance of actinic open at the same time, ive tried copy and paste from v7 to v8 but it didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by Jan

Regards,
                          I found it heavy going with no certainty of what is getting populated.

An hierarchical import in update mode was over in a matter of minutes once I had picked through the export from the other site version and removed things like the upgraded template names and info page sizes to allow the new site settings to persist through the upgrade.

A 1640 item 'merge' took me about six hours - four and a bit trying various methods, and less than two to actually do, once I settled on the export/edit/import method.
                          Bill
                          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

After messing about with the settings and the tables and deleting all the parts of the catalogue i dont need, this is the error im getting

Line 22: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 22: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 227: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 227: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 415: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 415: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 540: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 540: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 639: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 639: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 954: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 954: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 963: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 963: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 1721: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 1721: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 1820: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 1820: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 1890: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 1890: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 1899: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 1899: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 1952: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 1952: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 2004: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 2004: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 2060: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 2060: The selected image file does not exist.

Line 2101: An invalid Product could not be imported.

Line 2103: An invalid Section could not be imported. All child items will be skipped as well.

Line 2103: The selected image file does not exist.
                            i have deleted all image locations from the databse yet i still get this error

i have changed the image directory for my v8 site from my v7 site, so is this the cause of the errors ??

even though i am not using any images in the catalouge im importing

Comment

Where and how did you delete the image references? It would be better to change/correct the path to image.

Images are referenced in several places in several files, it would possibly be easier if you duplicated the new image folder structure in the old site and made the changes before exporting. (This can be a temporary change with correct use of snapshots).

You say you deleted parts of the catalogue you don't need from the file - again, very difficult to do correctly.

Much easier to snapshot the old site, make the removals/changes there, export the data, then reimport the snapshot to get the old site back to 'normal'.
                              Bill
                              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
                              X