Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£ symbol problem on my web page

Hello all,
    I have a strange problem with a site that I am building, the £ symbol next to the item for sale looks like a square box on the live web preview of my site but not on my pc before I upload it?
    for example on my actinic software it says £39 but once its on the web it says 39 but with a small square in front of it?
    Anyone any ideas? many thanks in advance
    Sam.

Common problem, been posted about quite a few times, it is most likely to do with the encoding on your server, it is probably using utf-8 rather than iso. Check out the forum search results if you need any more info (they provide a far more in depth answer) - you need to talk to your hosts basically and get them to change it.

Comment

Just done a search and dont see anything ;-(
      As a short term measure, can the square be removed, I guess it would be the same as removing the £ in front of the £39??
      I have had a look around and can find how to just display the price without any symbol in front of it.

Comment

A google search using keyphrase "£ symbol" threw this up amonst a load of other threads

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=29076
        http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=27769

if this doesn't help try

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=31140

Comment

I have just moved servers to webfusion VPS. I now have the same encoding problem, however it only appears on certain pages.

anyone any ideas why the encoding would be different on different pages.

website is www.av4trade.co.uk
          Jonathan

Comment

I have added the following to the .htaccess file

AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1

This seems to have solved the issue on the html pages, however as i move through the site and get to the .pl extension pages, the £ symbol turns into a question mark again.

Also the shipping service select drop down box is also suffering the ? symbol problem.

Any ideas, i have read that the encoding can be changed within the .htaccess file. Is this correct.

The response from webfusion, is - sorry, changing the encoding is not within our scope.

Useful as ever
            Jonathan

Comment

Managed to sort it.

I have added the htaccess to the cgi-bin directory and it now displays the £ symbol correctly
              Jonathan

Comment

Just to close this down the problem was sorted out by editing out the line "adddefaultcharsetutf-8" from the charset file in my apache2 server config file.
                It seems the problem was that Apache 1 has iso-8859-1 set to default but in apache 2 the above line i removed is added to make the utf-8 the default charset, so just delete that line and hey-presto its a £ and not a square.

hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X