upgrading to v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sally Dickson
    I have to know how it works, I think what most alarms me is I am a bit of a whizz at v7 and I am not clear why v8 is so different.
    You will soon find out, you can be sure of that. You will hate it, like it, love it, hate it and then love it - in probably that order.

Comment

Sally,

If you are planning to do a lot of V8 design work I would recommend going on the Actinic design course before you try to upgrade as it will help you understand how V8 works and will explain the differences between V7 and V8. It could save you a lot of time in the long run.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity
        If you're a whizz at V7 you should find it a lot easier than me.
        I think we all found the exact opposite. Someone coming new to v8 will pick it up quicker than someone used to thinking in v7-speak.

It is a bit like going to school in english, then sitting the exams in german. Some of the words are the same, some are similar enough to be interpreted, and most are simply a foreign language
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I think we all found the exact opposite
          Not wrong there Bill - its like black and white COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Comment

update -coupon code

Removing the Coupon Code.

As I said in my original email, v8 had upgraded the site and added a coupon code thing in thre wrong place.

Well this was resolved quite quickly.

First I had to look at the html code, I got the Alt-Primary to appear in the bottom window and then I could see the code.

(I am not running Dreamweaver - initially I had set-up DReamweaver but this completley spooked me so I reverted to html coding - hand coding aaah the good old days!)

I cut and pasted the coupon code into a new position and that seemed to work except somewhere along the line all of the code in <!-- --> reappeared and all sorts of odd historic bits reappeared all over the LHS navigation.

In the end I ended up deleting all the <!-- --> code which was a bit annoying but I suppose the page is cleaner, and I had only left these bits in in case I needed them again.

I did have a few gee-whiz moments.

1) when I understood what the pink circular icon does, dropping in all sorts of pre-written code (again I am working in html not dreamweaver).

2) when I saw how easy it was to pass between alt-primary, alt-shopping cart alt-checkout alt_brochure.
            Basically you goto 'Select Page Type' and a drop-down menu appears with all the different pages.

So one problem down.
            Sally Dickson
            Creative Catalogues Online - Brands & E-shops

E-shops:
            The Official Paddington Bear Shop
            The Official Bang on the Door Shop
            The Official Flower Fairies Shop
            The Official Miffy shop
            The Official Maisy Shop

Also: www.toysandgifts.co.uk
            www.jeuxetcadeaux.fr
            Ebay
            Amazon:

Comment

home image navigation button

I also had problems with the navigation buttons which v8 had upgraded from .gifs into text.

The help desk managed to make me feel very stupide on this one. I could see what they were saying. The code looked right on the screen.
              - had I the images in the /site folder? 'yes'
              - was I running a test site? 'no'
              - why not? ' never needed one until now'
              - why not look at the code in the preview pane? 'ok'
              - that must be wrong!- send us snapshot

to add insult to injury the snapshot is of course 12mb so after a few more emils the snapshot was ftped across late this afternoon.

so more to follow.

Perhaps more worrying was the response of my SEO guy. When I asked him if he was happy with v8, he said **** no!

Has anyone tried to optimise V8 for Google?
              Last edited by Sally Dickson; 04-Jul-2007, 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
              Sally Dickson
              Creative Catalogues Online - Brands & E-shops

E-shops:
              The Official Paddington Bear Shop
              The Official Bang on the Door Shop
              The Official Flower Fairies Shop
              The Official Miffy shop
              The Official Maisy Shop

Also: www.toysandgifts.co.uk
              www.jeuxetcadeaux.fr
              Ebay
              Amazon:

Comment

Originally posted by Sally Dickson
                It's a year old and there are hundreds of V8 sites, i think it can be safely assumed so yes.

Comment

I do it every day as Lee says V8 is getting old hat now and V9 is round the corner so Im looking towards that now

Comment

V8 doesn't seem to need too much SEO
                    as long as you have done the underlying work with page titles, body text and so on

Comment

I read your post early this morning and didn't have time to write "bet you £100 it's not there in a day or so". It was even quicker than that!

Comment

Working...
                      X