Which Version - confused please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Version - confused please help

I wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advice.

I've been looking at Actinic for some time. I'm a free lance web designer - but I also run my own online business. My original site was hand build with asp - and whilst it does the trick I'm looking for a solution where I can handle back office stuff, database admin and product catalogue all in one application - and Actinic seems to offer this. After loads of reading around the subject I'm completely confused as to which version is for me. I'm planning to design the site in Dreamweaver as I want as much control over the look and feel of the site as possible without it looking like an out the box application - but wanting to use Actinic for the e-commerce. Please can anyone point me in the right direction and help me with the following.

1. Is it pretty straight forward to build the templates from Scratch using dreamweaver and a good knowledge of html – Or is it that you have to fiddle with the included templates can anyone point me towards any good resources or offer any advice on this?

2. Is it the same dreamweaver integration tools in designer as it is in Catalogue and Business or does designer offer more design flexibility?

3. It maybe that I have future clients that I could offer Actinic for e commerce – in which case would I then need to buy developer and also catalogue for my own store ?

To be honest Catalogue looks to offer what I need for this project – but does developer offers more tools to help design individual sites?

If anyone can help – that would be fantastic – thanks - Dayne

Welcome to the forum,

by the sounds of it MultiSite would be the solution .. allowing you to build your own sites and develop for 3rd parties. You could go the Designer / Catalogue route but this would restrict flexibility if you wanted more of your own sites.

Designing from scratch is done in DW for the exteranl overall page design, this is registered with Actinic where you insert place holders for the Navigation, product content, cart summary etc. The actual product layouts etc can then be edited directly inside Actinic (html window in the Design tab) or you can select to edit in DW (this can be a pain as DW does not compact the Actinic code .. if you know HTML editing inside Actinic is often easier once the outer layout is nailed)

MultiSite allows you to export designs via the Partial Design Snapshot feature (hold on for a rocky ride) to send through to clients.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

if you choose MultiSite you will have to manage the site for your clients.

If you want your clients to manage their own store but come to you only for design/initial build then designer/client software.

DW integration is the same regardless

I'd phone sales and discuss with them

Comment

Originally posted by Dayne
        I also run my own online business.
        Jo - that would not provide his own ecommerce site requirements.... either route assumes the clients have their own copy to maintain and retrieve orders (although Actinic did state a developer can accept orders on the clients behalf if they want to relinquish all control to the developer)

Bikster

Comment

Thanks guys that really helps - you mention that you insert place holders for navigation, cart summary etc - can you customise the look and feel of these these too?
          thanks again - for the quick reply
          Dayne

Comment

Yes - everything can be hacked around inside Actinic or there is a button to edit in DW .. it is largely plain HTML and CSS

Bikster

Comment

Jo - that would not provide his own ecommerce site requirements
              Yes it does, its how I manage my business/stores

designer at £400 plus client catalog at £200 for as many times as you like

then you sell Client catalog/business software to clients if they want to self manage. Its the best solution for me as I never manage client stores. Client either buys client or full catalog/business dependant on their future plans

£600 V multisite

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                Yes - everything can be hacked around inside Actinic or there is a button to edit in DW .. it is largely plain HTML and CSS
                Magic thanks Jon - I think my mind is made up to invest the money and time with Actinic - I'll speak to sales and thrash out which version is best to go with - Ho hum, head down, late nights and time to get another application under my belt

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  Yes it does, its how I manage my business/stores
                  Sorry Jo .. misread your post .. thought you meant Designer for Dayne and Catalogue for his clients

Bikster

Comment

No worries, its one of those, 6 of one half a dozen of the other scenarios

Comment

Working...
                    X