Q about custom variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q about custom variables

ok..I'm setting up a custom variable for "size" so I can use it in an advanced site search but I have a quick Q that I just can't get my head round.

If I set the place of setting at "section" level and enter it as the size of that section...will the subsections and products AUTOMATICALLY inherit this property or will I have to enter them ALL as "use parent"?

Or, do I just have "place of setting" at section level and NOT product?
    If so, what about sub-sections? Will I need to give all sections and sub-sections in each size an entry?
    If I don't have "place of setting" at product level, will each product automatically inherit the section setting?

Editted to add...I also have duplicates in use when an item is listed in 2 size sections..obviously setting the variable at product level (with the ability to edit it in duplicates) I could set the specific size against the section it was in.

If I set it at section level..will the duplicates still obey their own section setting and not that of the original?
    I hope that makes sense...I'm just trying to get my head around it!
    I'm confused now LOL

Thanks
    Tracey

Did this ages ago but cant remember it all i will go and check but im sure, i set it at product and section it should be ok then it uses parent unless you change it.

Hope that make sense, give me a few mins to go and check out exactly what settings i have used

Darren

Comment

OK

When you set your variable up, tick both, section and product, also put tick in the searchable, modify duplicates and upload (not sure about this one but tick it, i did)

make sure you have initial value set to us parent and the top level waht ever you default should be

Also add all the sizes you want on the values tab

Under the advanced place settings make sure section is ticked and product is ticked

that should just about do you, ask if you need some more help or have any problems

D

Comment

Sorry for got to add, i set my variable up un der the general tab, but you can create you own group then variable in that group

Also the duplicate can be changed because you ticked the modify duplicates box

D

Comment

ahhh ahhh....initial value of "use parent"..yes..that makes sense
          I was searching for a way to put that as a default but couldn't work out where...it's in the variable set up itself, isn't it?

Dur..what a dumbie...
          Thanks, Darren
          Tracey

Comment

ok.."initial value"...is this like a default value?

I've set the top level section variable value as size 8....but the subsections/products etc are showing as blank..

I'm not reassured that they're taking this parent value without me physically changing them to "use parent"
            Tracey

Comment

OK initial value should have use parent()

top level size 8

I missed a bit - in the middle of the variable right hand side there is a tick box allow <use parent> as an option, this needs to be ticked aswell

is this better?

Comment

yeh..I did that
                I don't have "top level" filled in in the variable set-up because size 8 is only the setting for the size 8 section, obviously..there are other sizes. The top level is blank.

initial value has "use parent ()" and the use parent option is ticked..I got that anyway.

I'm just concerned because when I set my size 8 section as "8" in the variable... and then move to a product below it.. the variable is blank. Will is automatically use the "8"? I kinda expected the "use parent" option (which is there in the dropdown) to show without me selecting it
                Oh I'm confused...maybe it'll be clearer tomorrow

thanks, Darren
                Tracey

Comment

Tracey,

When you have changed the variable settings, I find it is usually necessary to change the place of setting. Remove the tick against product, close and reopen Actinic and then reselect the product place of setting to get it to inherit the new default 'Use Parent' option.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

ahh..ok, thanks Bill.
                    Ok...that's reminiscent of Jo's "extended info" size problem, isn't it? I should have thought of that.
                    Cheers, I'll do that
                    Tracey

Comment

excellent, Bill...thanks!
                      That did the trick

that's going to save me a LOT of time inputting now! I only have to do the size sections instead of ALL the products....YAY!
                      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
                        Tracey,

When you have changed the variable settings, I find it is usually necessary to change the place of setting. Remove the tick against product, close and reopen Actinic and then reselect the product place of setting to get it to inherit the new default 'Use Parent' option.
                        I probably did this when i was learning to set mine up and never realised it as it was probably an accident, nice one Bill. Is this because the database needs kick starting so it implements the changes?

Darren

Comment

It's when you go back to adjust an already setup variable this occurs, if you set it up correctly right at the start it will do it all for you.

Comment

well when I first set it up, I was thinking I could set it up at product level and give it all the size values in one go...ie give a multisize item ALL it's size values in the original..it became obvious I couldn't do that so I changed it to give the original the size value from the section it was in..and it's duplicate the value from the section IT was in (ie..size 10/12 item listed in the size 10 section has a value of 10, it's duplicate in the size 12 section has a value of 12)

So I changed to setting the value at section level to cut down on input.

Easy when you know how...but when I start out, I generally have 50% knowledge and 50% "find out as I go along"...

Editted to say..reading that back it sounded a bit defensive but it wasn't reall supposed to
                            Tracey

Comment

LOL, chill. We all set them up at times, in a way we do not want them. I just delete it and start again, seems the least problematic from my end.

Comment

Working...
                              X