Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different sidebar info per section

Hi

I was wondering if it's possible to display different info per section on the sidebar? If so, how can I do this please? I've tried copying and cribbing the existing sidebar code and including it in the sidebar. This just overwrites the existing code rather than display a different one per section.

I'm sure it must have come up before as I can't be the only one wanting this. I've tried looking this up in the forum but can't find any posting for it - maybe I've searched for the wrong term. Apologies in advance if this has been covered.

Thanks

Michael

Simplified answer - create a user defined variable, with 'place of setting' section, and insert a reference to this variable in your layout.

On each section, define the content by filling in the value of your new variable.

Repeat as necessary.

Is that enough to get you on the right track?
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Michael

Depends on how much you want it to change and how many sections.

You can either do it via a blockif which tests which section you are on or you can have a layout specifically for each section. Second option is crap IMO as it gives you too many layouts to manage and alter if you wanted to change anything.

I am in favour of a sidebar, with blockifs checking where you are and including the information accordingly. HOWEVER, if this runs into too many sections, this can become a nightmare to manage.

All depends on size and how many times it will change - you haven't indicated this.

Comment

Bill/Lee

Many thanks for your solutions. I've currently got about 25 sections (which will double as I add more products) that I need variable info for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'll try the blockif route as it seems the least amount of work to do.

Once again many thanks to you both for your time and assistance.

Michael

Comment

Block if is the way to go for sure.... create the 25 new layouts to display your code and wrap these in the Block if.

You may be able to automate Bill's solution slightly using the ListIndex variable to determine which section you are in.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks guys, the blockif worked a treat.

For anyone else wanting to use this method, just be aware that when checking SectionPageName (or any other variable I guess) it's case sensitive!!!
            Last edited by SpikyMikey; 10-Jul-2007, 01:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

SpikeyMikey @ takesanactinicinstructionnowadaysandgoesanddoesit . com

Nice one Michael, well done m8.

Comment

Yeah.....watch your back mate....I'm learning and am after your crown for king of actinic lol (in my dreams)

Comment

your crown for king of actinic lol
                  i contest that throne.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikyMikey
                    Yeah.....watch your back mate....I'm learning and am after your crown for king of actinic lol (in my dreams)
                    No chance - you got George

Comment

What have I started????

Comment

Be nice if you posted your solution.....

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                          Be nice if you posted your solution.....
                          Not a problem.

First of all create all your sidebar layouts how you want them. I created the new layouts based on Sidebar - Use Fixed Layout - Smart Right Sidebar.

Then in the Layout Code Right Custom Sidebar Box for each new section, insert a blockif statement to display the section layout you want. Remember that the SectionPageName is case-sensitive.

By doing it this way, you're just displaying the additional bits you want for each section in the right sidebar. ie. You've got your default sidebar (Smart Right Sidebar) - which is displayed globally throughout your site plus your customised sidebar Right Custom Sidebar Box which displays info specific to each section. Hope that makes sense.

HTH.

Comment

Design wizard - right sidebar

Am trying to put a sidebox on the right hand sidebar - am using design wizard theme. any ideas how that can be achieved. As i dont see to find a way out using this wizard.

SOS !

Comment

Hi,

You can't add extra boxes using the wizard but this knowledge base article should help.
                              Last edited by KB2; 23-Mar-2010, 11:29 AM. Reason: Updating kb links
                              Tracey
                              SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                              X