• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with right hand column layout

Hi

I've got a problem with layout on a new site:

www.naturallytoyou.co.uk/acatalog

this page has the correct layout - left, middle and right columns (right col text is just test at moment)

however when you go into a section the right hand column disappears to the bottom of the page after the product details.

I've had look round and can't see the reason for this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please!

Kathy
    Kathy Newman

There are a lot of nested tables so very difficult to pick through and see what is doing on .... it looks like there could be a missing or malformed <td> .. </td> wrapping around the whole of the right hand column though.

The styles to the links in the side bars need looking at as most have 4 classes assigned to each link eg:

<td valign="middle" bgcolor="f7f8e6" class="style15 style11 thinred3 style44">

Which is probably not the cause of the table alignment but does need looking at.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

youve got to look at the main layout table - you have a
      Code:
      <table><tr><td> contents of the left menu</td><td>main section layout</td></tr></table>
      then you start another table with the assumed right hand menu with another
      Code:
      <table><tr><td> contents of the right menu</td></tr></table>
      what you need to do is to trace back to the main page layout, look for the

Code:
      <table><tr><td> contents of the left menu</td><td>main section layout</td>
      and then after that main section content move the <td>right hand menu </td>
      then </tr></table>

the end result being
      Code:
      <table><tr><td> contents of the left menu</td><td>main section layout</td><td> contents of the right menu</td></tr></table>
      you also need to start using firefox - "html tidy" utility, if you use the utility, you will see that there is quite a few places where you open a <span> but you don't close the </span> - this can and often does lead to very very unpredicatble results. (although in this particular circumstance, I think the <spans> are a slight red herring)
      if you look at the IE-results of the "feet" page, you get "all validated ok" but if you then try the same in FireFox, you get "19 errors, 400 warnings" - many of the errors/warnings are as a result of the way actinic generates the code, but some of them are a "missing end of span"
      example errors
      "<body> missing end quote mark" - probably immediately after the "setallpanes();" bit
      "<body>" repeated attributes of bgcolor, link, vlink, alink
      somewhere near the <span class="style83">Shopping Basket </span> is a missing </span>

there are other problems in the code, IE6 etc is very forgiving with poor quality html code, but firefox etc is much more strict, and becoming stricter.

download the Firefox "html tidy" and "web developer" addons, they will quickly become your best friends.

Comment

Thanks Jont - yes code is very messy - think what I'm going to do is re-create the page and get it tidier and hope that solves the problem too - fun stuff to do on a Saturday!

Kathy
        Kathy Newman

Comment

sorry complete rookie missed your reply think we were posting at same time - thanks for the help and tips re firefox - will go and do that now.

Kathy
          Kathy Newman

Comment

Working...
          X