Header bar layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header bar layout

I have just started using the trial version of catalog. I want to change the layout of the header bar and side (left) bar to a design I have created in The Gimp. This is just a .GIF file. I have looked in the user guide and advanced guide, also searched this forum, but I cannot find a solution.

I have a very basic knowledge of HTML. I (maybe wrongly) assumed that it would be easy to learn and make this 'basic' change in Actinic. Or am I just '...an old dog...'?

Please can anyone advise/help?

I do not just want to change the colour but I want to use a unique design. I also do not really want to spend-out on a copy of Dreamweaver for this one-off project.

Do I have to go and learn how to construct CSS's??

Look forward to your replies,

Runner
    Regards,

Keith

Central Heating Supplies | Life Insurance Quotes | Be Modern Orlando Electric Fires | Grant Boilers | Honeywell Heating Controls | Worcester Bosch Oil Boilers | Oil Boilers

If you intend to stray away from a standard template, then html and css experience is essential. The guides will not help you on this at this is fundamental html and css, not actinic.

As long as you don't try and be too clever, you can do quite a bit on the design tab, however i would strongly advise to steer clear until you have some experience. Get a standard site up and running, then slowly start to make changes, ENSURING you take snapshots regularly.

There are hundreds of free html and css tutorials on the web, you won't find many in here at all, if any. Within a couple of weeks of hard work you can be up to a reasonable standard, so worth the effort if you like to learn things.

Good luck and remember 99% of the problems you encounter, will have been already asked and answered in the forum - don't forget the search facility - an absolute barrage of free information.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Lee. I have just visited your site. Due to budget I unfortunately cannot afford a professional like yourself.

Would you say using an alternative GIF for the header bar is too advanced for a beginner?

I just cannot see how to replace the default one in the style sheet!

Runner
      Regards,

Keith

Central Heating Supplies | Life Insurance Quotes | Be Modern Orlando Electric Fires | Grant Boilers | Honeywell Heating Controls | Worcester Bosch Oil Boilers | Oil Boilers

Comment

If we are talking about the logo, then that is a very easy change, simply create your new one and save it within your site1 folder and then point to it within SETTINGS | SITE OPTIONS | GENERAL, it is referenced twice, once for product pages and once for brochure pages (make sure you change it in both).

You can do quite a bit in those areas, without the need to touch css or html a lot of the time, that may serve all of your needs in fact. You certainly don't want to be contacting designers for simple changes like that, it would be embarassing to charge for something so small (that's not an invite btw lol).

Comment

That's a big help as I do want to put my own logo in. What I meant was to use a GIF as the header bar and also left side bar if poss.
          Regards,

Keith

Comment

Working...
          X