Atribute Dependant Attributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atribute Dependant Attributes

Anyone know if it's possible for a drop down list to show choices that are dependant on the choice made in the previous choice. Hmm, that sounds confusing:

Product X is a available in sizes 1,2, and 3

Size 1 is available in secondary size A only; size 2 is available in secondary sizes A and B; size 3 is available in secondary sizes A,B, and C etc. ??

Drop down

Drop down
    A
    B - only viewed if 2 or 3 chosen
    C - Only viewed if 3 is chosen

If this isn't possible I'll have to do seperate product listings for sizes 1,2,3 etc. up to 15 in fact, each with it's separate ABC drop down.

If fact, there's more to it because the prices displayed under the ABC drop down would change depending on the choice made in the 123 drop down.

Drop down

If 2 is chosen B is 2.00
    If 3 is chosen B is 3.00 etc.

Is that all a bit much to attempt? Websites do do such things but Actnic Catalog?

I knew what you meant straight away because I've been asked for (and asked here about) the same thing and haven't been able to do it.
    I believe it's not possible, no..

The best you can do is perhaps to add your 1,2 and 3 and your A, B and C as attributes under one component and, when creating your permutations, UNcheck the "valid" box for B and C associated with choice 1 etc

Clear as mud, huh?

Norman at Drillpine is actually working on a dynamic pricing add-on that would really help here because it can prompt "invalid" choices as a pop up on screen as soon as they are selected rather than waiting til "add to cart" is selected as would apply usually. It can also calculate the price dynamically
    Might be worth dropping him a line about it if you think this could work?

Clear as mud? probably...if it didn't make sense, just ask!
    Tracey

Comment

Thanks. Had a feeling is wasn't possible. I think I'll go with the separate listings for now then. Just eager to get it all workable for now. I suppose alterations and fine-tuning are possible later - and no doubt part and parcel of setting up a store.

What I need to do can be represented in a grid:

...1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
      A *
      B **
      C ***
      D ****
      E ******
      F ******* and so on...
      G
      H
      I
      J
      K
      L
      M
      N
      O

(Numbers should have been down the side but the idea is there)

So now the 1-15 will be 'products', and A to O in drop downs.

ps. I like your 'bumps' logo.

Comment

sounds like NorMatrix would be ideal to me, look it up on Normans site - drillpine.biz.

Comment

No, I don't think that's it. I've seen it on many sites. For example, you want to go on holiday to Torremolinos, so you go to your travel site and click Spain in the drop down, page refreshes and the drop down below the first has just been populated with all the Spanish Costas. You click on Costa del Sol, and again a quick refresh to populate the next drop down with Nerja, Estepona, Marbella, Torremolinos etc.

Like that but with prices shown too.

Comment

This is an old thread that I've revisited because I believe there is a simple solution but don't know how to employ it. I'd appreciate any help.

Substituting what I really sell for 'holidays' to make it a bit clearer, what I do is ask 'Where do you want to go?' and the customer clicks on say 'Spain' from a list e.g.

Italy
            Spain
            Croatia
            Greece etc..

This list is set up as a list of simple links - without images to give it a good 'list look' (they are all links to sections). This then takes them to a product page which has a drop down of possible places in Spain e.g Costa del Sol, Costa Brava etc. and each Costa has a different price.

This has always been a workaround, because what I really wanted to do was have a dropdown in which you could click the country, and the dropdown below it would then automatically fill with the, in this case, Spanish destinations.

It's now occured to me that all that is needed is to put my list of section links in a dropdown, and bingo. In fact I think the sites on which I've seen this work operate in that way.

If you include the second drop down ('destination in Spain' drop down) on the initial page but have nothing in it (in effect a dummy drop down), it would look like it gets filled on making a selection on the first dropdown, whereas in fact it would take you to another page where the dropdown is pre-filled. Magic!

On this new page the first dropdown would figure also, enabling them to change their mind without clicking back.

I found an interesting piece on doing such a thing which supplies some code - and goes on about 'Javascript' on which I am clueless. What do I do with the 'script'? Paste it in somewhere?

http://blogs.msdn.com/lisawoll/archi...19/217427.aspx

Here is an example of how it is at the moment (which - although it works fine - I don't like)

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/..._T_Pieces.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thinking on the fly this should be possible using javascript to insert additional CSS classes. Set the <select> class to display:none on all but the first drop down ...monitor the onchange of the <option> to insert a new class into the corresponding next <select> to then display the drop down.

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks Jont. You kinda lost me there, so I think I'll have to do my homework on Javascript before I get all ahead of myself.

Comment

Working...
                X