Changing Product Reference Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Product Reference Numbers

I would like to change the product reference numbers of my products to something more meaningful.

When I entered my product info into Actinic I just let Actinic make reference numbers so they are numbered from 1 onwards.

What effect will it have if I change the numbers to an alpha numeric code? Will this create problems with the related product/also bought product listings? Will it create any other problems?

Thought I would ask before I get myself into trouble... again

well you might want to take heed from THIS POST for starters, Remmo

And yes, you will get warnings about your related products/marketting lists but I'm unsure whether it automatically changes the reference in the marketing lists or not.
    I'm sure someone else will know.
    Tracey

Comment

I swear that post did not come up in my search... honest I did search.

Think I'll leave this job for another day

Comment

lol..that wasn't a "you didn't search" accusation
        Just happened to be a recent and current thread that I knew was relevent
        Tracey

Comment

That's OK Tracey... but with all of the "search the forums" messages lately I'm trying to tread very carefully

Comment

Originally posted by remmo
            That's OK Tracey... but with all of the "search the forums" messages lately I'm trying to tread very carefully
            I haven't seen these threads, Can anyone tell me where they are?
            Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
            Zirconium Rings
            Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Stop Stirring Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby
                I haven't seen these threads, Can anyone tell me where they are?
                I'm sure if you do a forum search, you will see plenty of threads on the subject

I'm actually going to tackle my reference changes, section by section, re-opening Actinic each time to ensure the layouts "fix" themselves (although with about 100 sections, it could take a while)

oh...and I'll be switching my marketing lists off while I do it too...or I'd be ready to drop-kick the laptop after about half a dozen warnings!
                Tracey

Comment

Remmo
                  just to let you know I've posted at update on THIS THREAD
                  Tracey

Comment

Thanks Tracey,

Another job requires my attention at the moment - ordering new stock... we are having a huge sales rush at the moment - far more exciting than having to change reference numbers

Comment

Originally posted by remmo
                      Thanks Tracey,

Another job requires my attention at the moment - ordering new stock... we are having a huge sales rush at the moment - far more exciting than having to change reference numbers
                      LOL, I hear ya!
                      and that's exactly why it's a job that is being bumped down my to-do list over and over again
                      I've only done 2 sections so far...more interesting things to do now
                      Tracey

Comment

If the product reference number is amended, is there any way that the 'customer also bought' and 'you may also like' can be updated automatically or i'm going to have a record number of 404 errors

Business Multi Site V8.5.1 HFUA

Comment

I don't really understand why it isn't, Pete
                          It's a PITA having to re-do the marketing lists just because Actinic can't follow a product reference change.
                          Tracey

Comment

And, thanks to a bug fixed in beta testing which has reappeared, if you change the product references in v902, customvariables on duplicates revert to Use Parent.

Comment

Originally posted by bentleybloke View Post
                              And, thanks to a bug fixed in beta testing which has reappeared, if you change the product references in v902, customvariables on duplicates revert to Use Parent.
                              now that is SERIOUSLY not good!
                              Every day I see another reason to stay away from V9!
                              Tracey

Comment

Working...
                              X