Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGI Error When Testing Upgraded Website

Hi everybody,

We are in the process of upgrading a clients website from v7 to v8. We noticed a problem that the new upgrade has trouble accessing the CGI-Bin (for search, checkout etc.). We reverted back to the old v7 version of the site, and did further testing.

On testing, we found out that whilst v7 can test connect to the website okay, v8 throws up the following error.

"Actinic received a server error from the web server. The CGI scripts are not executing properly on the server. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration."

and then

"The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI script extension, the path to CGI-BIN, and the CGI-BIN URL. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts."

We are a bit baffled by this as we haven't touched the network settings during the upgrade, only changed the layout in the front end. On top of this, we have other clients with v8 shops on the same server, so we know it's not a server issue.

Below is the exported network setups. First in Actinic version 7

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 1
    SCRIPTEXT .pl
    SMTPHOST localhost
    WEBSITEURL XXX
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS true
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP false
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME ********
    SMTPPASSWORD ********
    SSLCATALOGURL XXX
    SSLCGIBINURL XXX
    SSLPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    SSLCODEBASE ./
    SSLFTPHOST ftp.XXX
    SSLFTPUSERNAME *******
    SSLFTPPASSWORD *******
    SSLPATHTOCGIBIN www/cgi-bin/
    SSLUSEPASSIVEFTP true
    CATALOGURL XXX
    CGIBINURL XXX
    PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST ftp.XXX
    FTPUSERNAME *******
    FTPPASSWORD *******
    PATHTOCGIBIN www/cgi-bin/
    USEPASSIVEFTP true
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Now in Actinic version 8

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 1
    SCRIPTEXT .pl
    SMTPHOST localhost
    WEBSITEURL XXX
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS true
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP false
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME ********
    SMTPPASSWORD ********
    SSLCATALOGURL XXX
    SSLCGIBINURL XXX
    SSLPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    SSLCODEBASE ./
    SSLFTPHOST ftp.XXX
    SSLFTPUSERNAME *******
    SSLFTPPASSWORD *******
    SSLPATHTOCGIBIN www/cgi-bin/
    SSLUSEPASSIVEFTP true
    CATALOGURL XXX
    CGIBINURL XXX
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST ftp.XXX
    FTPUSERNAME *******
    FTPPASSWORD *******
    USEPASSIVEFTP true
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

We're completely stumped by it. If anybody has any suggestions or advice, it would be greatfully appreciated. If you need any furhter details, then please let me know.

Put site in test mode, switch off SSL and get it working fine at that first, then switch on SSL and test again. V8 runs independently, so don't panic, but please do take the time to have a look at forum names before you post.

Comment

My apologies for posting in the wrong forum, moderators can move this to the correct forum if they wish

Right, I have switched off SSL and carried out a test connection. There was once again the same failure in the test. I then switched it to test mode to do a test upload, and halfway through the upload there was a similar error.

Any suggestions? As I am completely clueless at the moment!

Comment

Well if what you posted above is correct your website url has an extra 'www.' in it. Remove that and try again.
        Cheers

David
        Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Hi David,

I already ruled that out because it was the same in both. I did spot it and remove it, and it is still throwing up the same error.

Thank you anyway

Comment

It doesn't look like anything obvious. Things you can try before contacting actinic support are:

1. Try Enhanced ftp
            2. Try different Passive ftp settings (off and on)
            3. Check permissions on acatalog and cgi-bin folders (should be 755 or 777)

Mike

PS. You can't rule something out because it worked before. There's no guarantee that actinic is working the same, so you have to try and see what does/doesn't work.

PPS. As said before. Get it working witout SSL first, otherwise there are too many possibilities to eliminate.
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I have now tried to test the settings for this site using a completly freshly set up account on the server.

My thinking was that maybe there was something in the CGI-BIN that the Version 7 Actinic that is currently uploaded was conflicting with the Version 8 I am trying to test.

So, I set up a completly fresh account, entered the details - and am getting the same error.

"The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI script extension, the path to CGI-BIN, and the CGI-BIN URL. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts."

Here are the details of the export of the settings.
              HTTPPROXYMODE 0
              HTTPPROXYADDRESS
              HTTPPROXYPORT 80
              HTTPPROXYUSER
              HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
              FTPPROXYMODE 0
              FTPPROXYADDRESS
              FTPPROXYPORT 21
              FTPPROXYUSER
              FTPPROXYPASSWORD
              SCRIPTID 1
              SCRIPTEXT .pl
              SMTPHOST localhost
              WEBSITEURL XXX
              IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
              USERELATIVECGIURLS false
              PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
              USEENHANCEFTP false
              FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
              FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
              FTPSILENT false
              FTPMAXRETRIES 3
              FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
              SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
              SMTPUSERNAME ******
              SMTPPASSWORD ******
              CATALOGURL XXX
              CGIBINURL XXX
              CODEBASE ./
              FTPHOST ftp.XXX
              FTPUSERNAME ******
              FTPPASSWORD ******
              USEPASSIVEFTP true
              FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

So, I am stumped as to what the problem could be. It works with Version 7. But the CGI is just not working with this one. We have 4 other version 8's working fine on our Shared server, but cant get this one to work even thought the settings are all the same.

Any further ideas anyone??

Comment

Hello!

I am getting the exact same errors. All my network settings are as per my hosts instructions. Have tried upgrading to version 8.51 and still getting the same errors. T

hese errors occur when I test the website network settings. When I actually click on upload the majority of the files go, but it gets stuck on the last item and throws the error "an error occured while sending the merge request"

Sorry I can't be any help to you, but I am eagerly watching this post for any solutions.

Regards,

Cammy.

Comment

If it looks to be specific to this instance of V8 then I would definitely call in actinic support to take a look.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Grant - I have also just entered my network settings in to trial version 7, the test ran correctly. So it seems this is deffo a version 8 issue.

Can you let me know if you have any success!

Goodluck!
                    x

Comment

Will do Cammy,

This has us stumped here for the moment - we are trying one further thing to eliminate a possibility - and will let you know if what we are trying works or not.

Comment

This is happening more and more, and I feel it is an actinic network settings issue and not your host.

I've had this on several sites in the past few months, i got so desparate one day I phoned support as nothing i did would allow a new site to connect. They suggested i phone my host (I am my host DOH!)

anyway my solution on that occaision was to remove all the www's it then worked, so i put them all back and it continued to work... no idea what that was all about, but i got to keep my hair for another day

Comment

Have tried removing all the www and sadly it's not worked :-(

Comment

Have tried removing all the www and sadly it's not worked :-(
                            I didn't offer that as a solution, just solidarity to say there's something amiss, but I've no idea what it is

Comment

Well we have sorted it out.

basically we think something screwed up when we imported the site the first time. The old site was a V7 - but heading into a V8.

So, we reimported the site (export site snapshot from V7, open V8 and choose File, snapshot, import)

It must be said that this worked on one computer, but not on another one. Maybe a difference in the versions of Access or something on these 2 machines

Comment

Working...
                              X