Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini New Products Item as a Section layout

Hi,

I would be grateful for any help; I have had a good look around and can’t find the answer but I’m sorry if this is very obvious.

What I want to achieve is a section to display products as the ‘new products’ are displayed on the homepage. The ‘new products’ uses a layout ‘mini new products item’.

I would like each section to display products in three columns with a product title, price, limited description and a link through to a more detailed page

I hope this makes sense, any help much appreciated

Lucy

Single product per page, change section column count to a number of how many you want to show on each row. You can add the price into the layout if one product only in each section and there is an area for section text where you can include whatever you would like. Have the product image as the section image. That is one way.

You could use products with column count set to your desired number and use extended info pages also to name another way. This method needs a cut down product layout ideally.

A lot will depend on you and your ability. Have you tried anything so far? have you got stuck on something? or just asking for some ideas before you start?

Comment

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your speedy reply…ability is low but I understand your suggestions!!

I have tried the single product per page but didn’t think to try the product thumbnail image as section image and so this has overcome this which is great… is there anyway of removing the add to cart button from this page?

I have also tried the extended info which worked really well, but I couldn’t get rid of the attributes etc from the section page and it was looking scruffy – any ideas how to omit these?

I suppose on smaller sites the one section per product approach is the best option, as it would have a greater appeal to SE etc. But on larger sites would it be a bit too deep?

Once again thanks for your help… as a beginner it’s much appreciated!

Lucy

Comment

If you select a section/product in the content tree and then switch to the design tab, you can see the code that brings in the add to cart button. You could delete it, but it is far better to comment it out in case you need to return it. It is also important to note that whatever you change in the layout, will cascade across your site wherever that layout is used, so you may need to have 2 layouts and use them in the correct places (it's hard to vuisualise what you are doing without seeing anything)

Whenever you want to hide or remove something, comment it out. I like to work on a copy of the original when tinkering, just make sure you have backed up so you can return if needed. You can basically have whatever you want, wherever you want and included how you want it. It is just a case of moving/adding or removing from certain layouts (templates).

As for one product per page, this is what Googlebase wants you to do and in a lot of cases it is advantageous to do so. It can also be disadvantageous and it all depends on your products and your setup - there is no right or wrong answer i'm afraid. There has been some good discussions on this forum about it, probably worth a read of the existing threads in that area.

Comment

Thanks, you've been a great help, will try with a comment!

Comment

Working...
          X