Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HTML non-compliance breaking Google's Adwords Site-Related-Keywords and Quality Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTML non-compliance breaking Google's Adwords Site-Related-Keywords and Quality Score

I've been aware for some time now that it is impossible to make an Actinic site pass the W3s html validation because of proprietary tags, but thought this a minor issue.

However I've just become aware that this breakes googles Site-Related-Keywords tool.

To begin with the tool told me that there wasn't enough text on the page to find keywords - this I knew to be wrong.

I worked out the problem by creating a copy of a page and stripping out the proprietary tags and re-testing. The tool now worked.

This is more important than simply not being able to use a useful tool. Google uses the same algorithm to work out the Quality score of the adverts landing page - and a good quality score means that adverts are favourably placed at a lower bid price, this will be costing merchants money.

Troubleshooting Google's Quality Score

- please can v9 be standards complient with proprietary tags presented as comments?
    Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Yup Yup this is a biggie for me also.

Comment

Can't you get Google to comply with W3C Standards and ignore tags they do not recognise? Why on earth should Actinic be crippled to accommodate Google non-compliance with an international standard that even Miscrosoft are attempting to follow (at last)?
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill - Why on earth would it cripple actinic to present it's proprietary tags like this

<!-- Actinic:BASEHREF VALUE="http://www.sitename.co.uk/acatalog/" FORCED=0 -->

Secondly we can't force Google to do anything!! Though it's well know that Google doesn't validate to standards, it's not their non compliance that is the issue here it is Actinic's - I believe that everyone should be aiming to comply, Actinic included. If Actinic wish to use propietary tags rather than comments they maybe they should declare their doctype as xhtml and follow the rules that this imposes.

Thirdly I'm asking Actinic nicely to make a small change to the way code is presented not asking them to restructure their product. The only difference this will make is to their parsing engine.

Don't really understand what's made you cross?
        Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

guys, there is a wishlist for this if you want to add your name to it

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=29178

p.

Comment

Originally posted by Orchid
            Bill - Why on earth would it cripple actinic to present it's proprietary tags like this

Secondly we can't force Google to do anything!! Though it's well know that Google doesn't validate to standards, it's not their non compliance that is the issue here it is Actinic's - I believe that everyone should be aiming to comply, Actinic included. If Actinic wish to use propietary tags rather than comments they maybe they should declare their doctype as xhtml and follow the rules that this imposes.

Thirdly I'm asking Actinic nicely to make a small change to the way code is presented not asking them to restructure their product. The only difference this will make is to their parsing engine.

Don't really understand what's made you cross?
            Actinic parses out comments when it compacts HTML/CGI - so the VERY fundamental BaseHref would be missing online and the site would immediately stop working.

So because you cannot force Google to comply, you will instead try to force Actinic to change? Surely with both you can only ask nicely? And it is Google's non-compliance that is really the issue here.

The parsing engine is the heart of Actinic. It builds the static html pages that make Actinic such a successful product.

What makes you think I'm cross - I was actually laughing at the twisted logic that says - 'If Google is non-standards compliant, and I want to use Google, the rest of the world needs reshaped to fit in with Google's noncompliance.'
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I did ask nicely - note the word "please"

and has been suggested in the wish list thread that we've now been redirected to all that would be needed is that comments be structured as follows and then the compacting could ignore them.

<!-- * any comment with asterixis would remain after compacting * -->

Though browsers and bots are suppossed to ignore tags they don't understand - they are still actively discouraged by the W3 because Proprietary tags were one of the worst aspects of the browser wars.
              This is shown by the fact that W3 Validation fails for Actinic sites. Validation is important for it's own sake and not simply for Google.
              Wayne Theisinger

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
                I was actually laughing at the twisted logic
                Indeed. Even the mighty Microsoft have finally given up on trying to make the world think their way. Everyone playing together is a better game for everyone to be in.

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

And everyone playing together is why standards are important.
                  Wayne Theisinger

Comment

That's an excellent suggestion.

Actinic could easily be changed to detect <!-- actinic: **** --> and pass such code through to the generated pages. Likewise the Perl scripts that look for these tags could instead detect the new format. One for V9 perhaps (unless such proprietary stuff is no longer needed there).

These <actinic:XXX ...> tags can even affect the browser. I found that I needed to add e.g. </Actinic:BASEHREF> after them in order for Netscape to parse some following code correctly.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Update to the original problem - I've done some further testing. What Google's Site Related Keyword algorithm actually does when it hits a tag it doesn't understand is skip the line. As Actinic produces compacted code this means the whole page is skipped.

Hence by not compacting the page you can get Google to parse the page and pull out the keywords.

If you do a lot of adword campaigns this will save you money by increasing your Quality Score.

Downside is that it might increase your bandwidth costs - it's a trade off but knowledge is power!!
                      Wayne Theisinger

Comment

Hi,

I have passed the suggestions here to the development team.

Kind regards,
                        Bruce King
                        SellerDeck

Comment

Originally posted by Orchid
                          Hence by not compacting the page you can get Google to parse the page and pull out the keywords.
                          Nice one Wayne.

Bikster
                          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                            These <actinic:XXX ...> tags can even affect the browser. I found that I needed to add e.g. </Actinic:BASEHREF> after them in order for Netscape to parse some following code correctly.
                            Actually that's a bug in the new designs (probably it went wrong when v7 templates were converted for v8). It should look like
                            Code:
                            <actinic:XXX .../>
                            Zoltan
                            Actinic Software
                            www.actinic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X