2 seperate computers doing design on one site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 seperate computers doing design on one site

Is it possible to have 2 different computers uploading data to the same Actinic website?

EG: one machine doing all the donkey work stuffing product up without pricing (because it is not avalable at that time) and the other machine at a different location adding pricing & delivery etc. as & when it is available...

My gut feeling is that it is not possible because of data syncronising problems & one machine uploading can/will overwrite what the other machine has done.

Is there a way?
    www.yandles.co.uk
    www.websilk.co.uk
    Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
    So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Your gut was right. You would have to pass snapshots between machines - which would mean the whole site would have to be uploaded on receipt.

You could however create an Excel file ready to import and pass that along - import it when all data is available (or modofied) and upload - using the same machine to upload each time.

Comment

Thanks Duncan - That was my assumption but not sure if there was a way...
      www.yandles.co.uk
      www.websilk.co.uk
      Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
      So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Gray
        Is it possible to have 2 different computers uploading data to the same Actinic website?

EG: one machine doing all the donkey work stuffing product up without pricing (because it is not avalable at that time) and the other machine at a different location adding pricing & delivery etc. as & when it is available...

My gut feeling is that it is not possible because of data syncronising problems & one machine uploading can/will overwrite what the other machine has done.

Is there a way?
        We've accomplished it, in a manner of speaking. What we've had to do is delete all products from Copy #2 once they've been exported to Copy #1. That way, Copy #2 isn't overwriting anything because every export only contains data that Copy #1 doesn't have yet.

...if that makes sense. It's created a whole different category of headaches for us, since the data don't seem to match up quite right. We have to do a bit of wrangling the actual raw exported data, but it's working out fairly well right now.

Comment

Working...
        X