Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Based On' layouts inheriting changes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Based On' layouts inheriting changes...

Following the AUG instructions for 'Bouncing Unregistered Customers Out of Sections' we have created a new layout 'Based On' the previous overall layout.

As I understand it, this should copy the old layout and create a new one with your specified name...

However, if we edit the new layout, the changes show through on the template it was originally based on and vice versa. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this normal behaviour?
    Thanks

Jos Medinger

Tel : 01978 843 962
    www.internetology.co.uk
    Actinic / E-Commerce Hosting, Design & SEO

Try doing it this way.

Check which layout is currently being used. Then go to Design | Library | Layouts and search for it.

Copy & Rename the layout. Make the changes you need. Add it to the Selector and then implement it where you need it.
    Last edited by JSnow; 21-Aug-2007, 02:46 PM. Reason: Sorry, misread your original post
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Comment

This means that the AUG is wrong then

3. Click in the 'Overall Page Layout' field and select '<New>' from the bottom of the list.
      4. In the 'Based On' field, select the overall page layout that is currently being used by the section.
      5. In the 'Name' field enter 'Registered Customers Only'.
      6. Click 'OK' and then click 'Apply' to make this section use the new layout.
      If this newly created layout can't be edited independently from the one it's based on - what's the point in having it at all???
      Thanks

Jos Medinger

www.internetology.co.uk

Comment

No. The AUG is correct.

That way works for me and it automatically adds it to the correct selector as well.... far better than the way I've been doing it.

The only thing that I can think of is that you have the incorrect layout defined for the page.

Assuming your page can be viewed in the content view. Click on the page, select the layout tab and make sure you have applied the new layout.
        "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Hmm - does your original overall layout not change then when you add the code in to the HEAD tags as instructed in the AUG?

Mine was quite happy to create the new layout etc but it wouldn't let me drop in the
          Code:
          <Actinic:NOTINB2B> 
          <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0; url=index.html"> 
          </Actinic:NOTINB2B> 
          <script language="javascript1.1"> 
          function actNotRegistered(){ 
          //<Actinic:NOTINB2B> 
          location.replace ('index.html'); 
          //</Actinic:NOTINB2B> 
          } 
          </script>
          code without putting it into the overall layout - which in turn would prevent *every* page from being seen by unregistered customers - not just the ones that I wanted to...
          Thanks

Jos Medinger

www.internetology.co.uk

Comment

I imagine the problem is that both layouts are controlled by the same Dreamweaver external design. So you make a change in one, the change is made in the external file, and then that automatically updates all the others.

You need to break your new layout away from being controlled by the external design. To do this:

1) Select the layout in the library, or via the Design tab
            2) Click the 'Edit Layout Details' button
            3) Delete the value in the 'Filename of External File' field
            4) Click 'OK'.

That should give you two independent layouts.

Comment

Working...
            X