Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Servers

Hi

I am involved in web development and hosting and have been asked to move a site with your cart to our servers. I don’t envisage any problems but I am a bit confused.

The support knowledge base indicates setting up the configuration but does not mention how to set up the new server. It just says make the changes and refresh.

Will I have to install the system from scratch (CD’s?) or can I simply port all the files over ‘as is’?

I am assuming the db side will run on our servers (via cgi-bin) or do you host them? I can’t tell this from the documentation.

Any advice gratefully received thanks.

John

Actinic is an offline database that generates static pages and uploads them and then downloads orders. You will need to make changes to the Actinic network (server connection) settings on the host pc and then upload (refresh) the site again from there.

The site owner/manager will own the host offline pc, with Actinic loaded on, that will need changing to enable this.

Comment

Hi John,

The dB side is done on the PC.

You don't need to move anything. Get the website owner to suspend ordering and download any orders. Once this is done all you need to do is get them to change their network settings to those for your server, enable ordering and do a site refresh. Actinic will then upload all the necessary files to the server.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Guys I think I am beginning to get this.

Just for my understanding, it would seem that the user, who I have not spoken to as yet would have received the CD and set up his store pages within the software on his system/PC.

When he was ready he uploaded the pages to his host server. I presume he will have to go through this process again with us. Some question here –

1 Our cgi-bin does not exist in the web space and we don’t provide clients with access to this through ftp. Do the folders specified (cgi-bin & acatalog) need to be part of his domain/web space in this case.

2 Will the software set the permissions itself. Again we do not normally allow users to do this.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Normally yes on both counts, depending on windows or linux servers. Linux is usually preferred as it is easier to set up.

The permissions of the cgi-bin and acatalog would normally need to be 755 and are usually part of the domain web space.

Actinic software needs to be able to upload (using it's built in ftp client) to the cgi-bin.

Comment

Thanks Duncan

So it would appear that there is nothing for us to do other than provide ftp access to the client?

John

Comment

Yes. Take a look at the forum for Upload Problems and Network Settings etc.:
              http://community.actinic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
              and have a dig around, you will see quite a few example working settings for different hosts. This is what the client will need to redo to be able to upload.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                Yes. Take a look at the forum for Upload Problems and Network Settings etc.:
                http://community.actinic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
                and have a dig around, you will see quite a few example working settings for different hosts. This is what the client will need to redo to be able to upload.
                Will do.

Thanks for all you help.

John

Comment

Working...
                X