Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock control!

Hi all,

I've been absolutely bowled over by a stock control issue I never realised Actinic couldn't perform.

My client has unique items that once bought need to be removed from the site. Now, I didn't realise, but apparently Actinic does not perform active stock control at server side.

I would have thought that this was essential in an online store where unique items would be offered for purchase.

This is the response from support I got when I asked about this facility:

"Regrettably the technology used for the software will not allow you to do what you wish in real time, and unfortunately will not be changed in the near future."

He recommended I spent a further £80.00 on third party software, and my client leave his PC on 24/7 to check for orders.

Does anyone else have issues with this, and if so, how do you overcome them. I really don't want to tell my client that he has to inform purchasers that the item they want is gone -- I think he will be as confused as I was.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Simon
    Simon Williams
    Actinic Designer v.8.5.2.0.0.0.HMVA

Actinic does perform online stock control in the sense that you can set stock levels in Actinic and do an upload. Then when someone makes a purchase on the shop then it will show as out of stock and the next person will not be able to purchase that item. Does that go some way as to how you need it to work?

The only way that Actinic does not perform dynamically is that because the site is on the server and the software on the desktop, in order to update the stock levels in Actinic you need to download the orders.
    Peblaco

Comment

There is no way around this, stock levels are only modified once the order has been downloaded and the site has been uploaded.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco
        Actinic does perform online stock control in the sense that you can set stock levels in Actinic and do an upload. Then when someone makes a purchase on the shop then it will show as out of stock and the next person will not be able to purchase that item. Does that go some way as to how you need it to work?

The only way that Actinic does not perform dynamically is that because the site is on the server and the software on the desktop, in order to update the stock levels in Actinic you need to download the orders.
        That is EXACTLY what I want to do.

There is ONE unique item that when purchased is immediately shown as out of stock / removed / not available.

Are you saying that this IS possible (without performing a download)?

Simon
        Simon Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Williams
          That is EXACTLY what I want to do.

There is ONE unique item that when purchased is immediately shown as out of stock / removed / not available.

Are you saying that this IS possible (without performing a download)?

Simon
          no, it isn't. Not by Actinic itself

The only way to put an item out of stock on the website is to download and the upload the "out of stock" stock level
          Tracey

Comment

It's only the updating of the stock levels in Actinic that needs a download.

I just tested this on a live site and you do have to download the orders first before it will show as out of stock, I was under the impression from a previous discussion this wasn't needed. I'm not sure if there's a way around this other than to monitor the orders as Actinic suggested, but I guess it would depend how often they are monitored so another order doesn't slip through the net.
            Peblaco

Comment

It's only the updating of the stock levels in Actinic that needs a download.
              and in order to update an item from "in stock" to "out of stock" you'd need to download the order and upload the website again.

If you don't, then someone else can come along and order it too.
              Tracey

Comment

There has been many a thread about the stock control (i use the term losely) and it's limitations.

But to summerise

items can still be ordered even when out of stock, until you do a download then upload.

Moleend have a tool for automating this process when your not around

D

Comment

I just tested this on a live site and you do have to download the orders first before it will show as out of stock, I was under the impression from a previous discussion this wasn't needed. I'm not sure if there's a way around this other than to monitor the orders as Actinic suggested, but I guess it would depend how often they are monitored so another order doesn't slip through the net.
                  I was under the same impression Louise, and it is going to prove to be a big problem for my clients site.

I will not be a workable solution to have the stock maybe in / maybe out, and I feel is another considerable drawback to the Actinic software.

It's also not a good option for me to tell my client to leave his PC on all the time, checking and updating stock levels using third party software - it seems archaic, costly and unsafe (computer on, logged in, available).

... now where did I put that os commerce book ...

Simon
                  Simon Williams

Comment

Hmmm Louise ...

"Regrettably the technology used for the software will not allow you to do what you wish in real time, and unfortunately will not be changed in the near future." was the uninspiring response from support, and I have seen threads about MySQL db's and when they will be available for use in Acinic. I'm not holding my breath.

For me, it opens up a wider debate about Actinic functionality, which I won't go into now ... always seems to stir up a huge can of worms and controversy!
                    Simon Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Williams
                      always seems to stir up a huge can of worms and controversy!
                      you say that like it's a bad thing, Simon
                      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
                        you say that like it's a bad thing, Simon
                        Oh dear is this going to end up in me getting my tin hat out again

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B
                          Oh dear is this going to end up in me getting my tin hat out again
                          LOL
                          you mean you removed it?

seriously though, I think enough has been said about this subject in the past that it really doesn't all need saying again.
                          There are numerous threads about the way Actinic handles (or not) stock control and, admittedly, I'm usually in the thick of it but it's all been said before.

I'm not about to contribute to another round of the same
                          Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
                            LOL
                            you mean you removed it?
                            I thought it was safe to come out again

Miss bumps im sure you started the odd stock control thread aswell

D

Comment

who are you calling odd?

I start them for specific issues and queries yes but not a full blown debate, not recently.
                              Like I said, over the last couple of years, it's all been said before.
                              Now I just have mini-rants once in a while when new "niggles" arise
                              lol
                              Tracey

Comment

Working...
                              X