Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure to load

Hi
    I'm using catalog v8 on XP professional designing my first store and gradually finding my way round the program. Yesterday I went to open catalog and got the always helpful:

"Catalog - Internet Sales Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

The only clue I've found is an entry in the Event Viewer which says:

Faulting application catalog.exe, version 8.0.2.0, faulting module mfc71.dll, version 7.10.3077.0, fault address 0x00031560.

There are various copies of this file on my machine, one in Windows\system32 and other copies in applications directories. The other applications still open normally it's just Actinic which is failing to load. I've tried deleting this file from the Actinic directory and running an upgrade to get a fresh copy but this had no effect.

Any ideas on how to solve this - all help gratefully received .
    Ruth

I'd get yourself on the latest version of the software and see how things are. The version you are using is old and literally laden with bugs/problems. Download the latest version off the actinic website - it's free to do so.

Comment

Thanks for the response - I've downloaded and installed the latest version but still have the same error and failure to load.

Comment

I would take a snapshot of the store plus a copy of your site1 folder and then delete actinic completely, including the folder in program files/my documents.

Then download the latest full version off their site and try a fresh install from scratch, once loaded, import your snapshot and try again. Sounds like the software installation has gone awol to me.

Comment

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I am new to this app. Is a snapshot different from the usual backup on exiting the program?

Comment

A backup of the database is just that, a snapshot however is a complete backup of all the files and information for the store, including the database.

Comment

So, since the original problem is that I can't open the application at all, I can't take a snapshot so I've lost the design? It's not exactly critical as the design is in its early stages but if anyone else knows of a solution to the problem, other than a complete re-install, I'd like to know. I've worked long enough in IT to know to check exactly what's being backed up in an automated backup - doh!

Comment

I've worked long enough in IT to know to check exactly what's being backed up in an automated backup - doh!
                People on this forum dont know your level of knowledge at all - the answers you have been given are correct.

Comment

If you have an earlier snapshot then uninstall Actinic completely including deleting the Actinic v8 folder. Install the latest full version from the Actnic website then import your last snapshot.

If you don't have a snapshot then try opening the database directly in Access and repair/compact, then see if you can then open Actinic.

Taking regular backups (snapshots) is vital, as I'm sure you already do with your other IT data, especially when you are new to the software and may inadvertantly mess something up.

Comment

Sure, and I really appreciate everyone's help. A solution to a problem is always welcome :-)) but an understanding of what's gone wrong is good too. I DO hate to make the same mistake twice ......

Comment

Thanks for the info, Duncan - I'll try that and see what happens. Cheers.

Comment

From the error message I doubt anyone will know what caused the problem or went wrong. The early releases of v8 were prown to bugs.

Comment

You need to send your database/site zipped up into Actinic support and they will be able to work out why it is failing.

It could be a corrupt db or it could be a registry issue or it could be something completely different.

If you don't have a snapshot then try opening the database directly in Access and repair/compact, then see if you can then open Actinic.
                          Have you done this- we had a case this week there doing this was the only way to resolve a corrupt database - repairing from Actinic or the ODBC DSN didn't work but doing it from within Access did.

Regards,
                          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                          Multichannel order processing
                          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Just to let you know that I'm virtually back to where I was before the problem. In the end I uninstalled Catalog, and did a complete re-install, which worked. Actually upgrading to the latest version also solved one or two other problems as well so thanks to everyone for their help. I'm now a happy bunny with a snapshot !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X