Poor Actinic Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Actinic Performance

I have been using Actinic business multi-site for about 8 months now.

It seems that Actinic kind of “semi hangs” (ie. “not responding tag), for the lack of a better term. When I edit products, change content/design/orders tabs, Actinic is unbearably slow…driving me to the point extreme of frustration. I have always expected that as the catalogue grew to get some slowdowns, but it has gotten to the point that I almost cannot work. Even on Actinic start-up it takes too long to get going.

I have tried running on different machines and both Win XP/Vista to no avail…and on a machine so fast that it would make Bill Gates jealous. Yet I am still experiencing exceptionally poor performance.

My catalogue is medium size, I would guess a thousand or so products…maybe less. I am using the latest version of V8.

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Siegfried.

There have been several threads about Actinic performance - especially in the early stages of v8 release - that are worth searching for.

There have been several suggestions, as well as patches, to help overcome this. Compacting the database on a regular basis, turning off preview when in the content tree plus a few others for quickening the upload times.

You are not alone

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Chris has already said its something that Actinic are working to improve on in the next release. I find the site generation when uploading takes much longer than earlier versions. I shudder to imagine what its like with one page per product sites.
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by george
        Chris has already said its something that Actinic are working to improve on in the next release. I find the site generation when uploading takes much longer than earlier versions. I shudder to imagine what its like with one page per product sites.
        a blimming nightmare I can tell you.

I noticed yesterday after upgrading a couple of sites to HIZA and the upload was painfully long. Plus after that for a short while, the sites went BLANK?

Had to do a complete site refresh to restore it and it seemed to lag for a while. Back to normal as of 7pm...worrying nonetheless.
        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

This has become serious, not just this event, but the many that seem to surround Actinic.

Siegfried.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemax
            This has become serious, not just this event, but the many that seem to surround Actinic.

Siegfried.
            what version you on Siegfried?
            Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
            Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Perhaps people could better help if you gave a url - without this its difficult to see any potential problems.

Comment

I have postponed a site redesign for these same reasons, its a one product per page site which in 851 IMO is unworkable (it has approx 800 sections/products)

Actinic have had this site and have been testing it with 852 and say there are performance improvements, although i dont know how significant the improvements are.

I'd say just hang on til 852 comes out, upgrade to it.

And NO there is no release date published for 852

Comment

I had a similar problem when I switched mine to a kind of SPP (using the extended info as a SPP...loading in main window)
                  My site isn't huge by some standards but I found the check and send process taking upwards of 20-30 minutes and, when I need to upload EVERY time an order comes in, it's unworkable.

I opted for a compromise of having a "passable as a page" pop up in the end (to keep GB happy)..but for those with "proper" SPPs (ie sections with a single product) I can only imagine how slow it must be!

As for the release of 8.5.2...it's a "couple of weeks" isn't it?
                  Or, at least, it has been....every couple of weeks for the last few months!
                  Tracey

Comment

We were considering putting a single product per page section on our site in order to be accepted to Google base - we have about a thousand products - though these are duplicated round the site possibly as many as three times, should we put this plan off until 9.0 or are people experiencing this performace issues on sites considerably bigger than ours?
                    Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Orchid
                      We were considering putting a single product per page section on our site in order to be accepted to Google base - we have about a thousand products - though these are duplicated round the site possibly as many as three times, should we put this plan off until 9.0 or are people experiencing this performace issues on sites considerably bigger than ours?
                      wait for 852 and ask again

Comment

Originally posted by Orchid
                        Depends how you work I would say. If, like Tracey, you are needing to upload a lot then it may be worth holding off until at least 8.5.2. However, if like us, you don't upload very often then there should not be any major issues. We run 1600 products all within their own section with no difficulties.

It will also depend on how many custom variables you use and whether you include any php lists etc. Our page generation goes from about 4 mins without our php menu to about 30 mins with it, however, as we don't upload very often it doesn't bother us.
                        Cheers

David
                        Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Poor show that Actinic ain't replied to this thread.
                          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Poor show that Actinic ain't replied to this thread.
                            I'm sorry you feel that George, but I don't want to run the risk of repeating what has already been written elsewhere. Our number one priority at the moment is performance and reliablity, and 8.5.2 will see performance improvements in some, but not all, areas. Once 8.5.2 is out, we'll review the outstanding performance issues and deal with them.

Comment

Odd - Im not seeing any of these problems. I have a few sites with over 1000 single product pages and they run with no problems at all. It may be due to a difference in the way the pages are built as there are several different ways of doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X