promotional Code box a turn-off???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

promotional Code box a turn-off???

I've just read the recent newsletter from Actinic and this was the 4th point:

Use hyperlinks to trigger offers

Many sites manage offers and discounts by giving some customers a ‘promotional code’ which they type into a box at the checkout. Unfortunately, this tells other visitors that some people are getting a better deal than they are – which can increase cart abandonment and leads to lost sales. Use email links to trigger offers, and you can reward whom you choose, while keeping the others blissfully unaware.

Any comments on this idea please....

Jane
    Jane Thurnell-Read
    200 Plus Weight Loss Tips

500 Plus Health And Happiness Tips

Personally, I am not turned off by the empty promotional code or coupon box when I am buying something online. By the time I'm in checkout, I've already (mentally) accepted the price.

However, I will admit to occasionally wishing I had a promo code and wondering if I could have gotten a better deal if I had one...or what I had to do to get one (points program, etc.). I've never felt slighted by NOT having one.

I like the idea of using hyperlinks to trigger special offers. I'll have to look into that.
    Kirk Pruitt
    Zims Autotechnik
    Bedford, Texas

Comment

I ask.. send an email before i process.. did this 2 days ago and got a voucher # for 20% all sales

Comment

With tabbed browsing now, you can just as easily open up a second tab and search for ABC promo codes or alike. I would be more inclined to do this the more i was spending, so from my perspective i think what it says is true.

I did just this about 6 months ago and saved myself £56 within 3 or 4 minutes, convert that to an hourly rate and you can see it's well worth it.

Comment

Interesting behaviour in the last two posts, but do you think this is typical of joe bloggs? As shop owners yourself, your behaviour may well not be typical of most of my customers ...

Jane
          Jane Thurnell-Read

Comment

I'm no shop owner, i'm Joe Bloggs the surfer.

Comment

nope and thats the reason why it works.. you dont ask you dont get! we british are scared to ask for discount even more so in shops!

what are they going to do to my big bad email? cant hurt to try.. and it helps encourage sales so most ppl will..

i make between 40-60% profit on average across the range.. Ive got no problem offering 10-20% off.. (occasionally) lol..

but as I say major outfits are more likely to allow for it. smaller business with little margin are unlikely to for obv reasons...

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                i'm Joe Bloggs the surfer.
                ahh...Lee, inadvertently, gives away his real identity...
                Tracey

Comment

My Client has asked me the same question how can we turn them off and apply them to hyperlinks?

Does anyone have an answer on how to do it?

Thanks

Angi
                  christopherpiperwines.co.uk
                  skatewarehouse.co.uk
                  progrow.co.uk
                  cheeksandcherries.co.uk

Comment

turning them off the coupon code field is easy: Marketing/Discounts then on the miscellaneous tab make sure nothing is checked under 'allow coupon code entry on'

but the second step, like Angi, I need help with that.

Jane
                    Jane Thurnell-Read

Comment

You can create direct URLs from within Marketing - Discounts and Surcharges - Order Level tab - after setting your discount up you can copy a link for it to the clipboard using the button next to the coupon code. You then end up with a URL of this form:

http://www.mydomain.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...f&COUPON=12345

Comment

Working...
                      X