Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyword advice

Hi all.

I have been doing a lot of reading through old posts searching these forums about how many keywords is too many in relation to them being classed as spam.

Some people say you should only use just the one and then others will say you can use a few. On average our brochure pages contain around 15 keywords and the same in our product pages.

Is it ok having 15 keywords for a brochure page and product page, they all bear a very important relevance to the particular page i.e

Our sugar free page has the following:

sugarfree products, sugarfree sweets, atkins, diabetes, weight loss, atkins diet, diabetic, diabetic diet, diabetic food, low carb diet, no sugar, diabetic chocolate, diabetic sweets, diet, sugarfree jam, sugar free gifts,

We are in the process of creating meta descriptions for each page that will contain relevant keywords that will also be placed in the main body at the top of each page.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
    Kev
    Kev Challis
    www.procutvinyl.co.uk

Hi Kev

Keyword research is not an exact science but it is a collection of fact and fiction.

There are no right or wrong ways to spoon feed the results to keyword research it really does depend on you, your sites goals, your sites content and your target audience.

What I would consider before putting any keywords in place is asking myself, how would my customers find me?

One bit of guidance (if you like) I will pass onto you:

I see you have quite a few single keywords...when you walk into a supermarket to buy a packet if crisps and cannot find what you want, do you walk upto the assistant and say "crisps"

The journey begins, I wish you well in your search for keyphrase enlightenment.
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I just want to clarify, in your opinion having 15 to 20 keywords for one page would be acceptable and not classed as spamming?

I would hate to put in all this hardwork and causes issues with SEO by having too many keywords.

thanks again
      Kev
      Kev Challis
      www.procutvinyl.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Challis
        Thanks for the tips.

I just want to clarify, in your opinion having 15 to 20 keywords for one page would be acceptable and not classed as spamming?

I would hate to put in all this hardwork and causes issues with SEO by having too many keywords.

thanks again
        Kev
        It is not a question of is this too many, more of, can you optimise for that many?

When you are looking for a KWD of 1-2.5% in 250 words of copy, will it make sense to your visitor?

I would suggest looking at combining many single phrases and optimising for 3-4 main keyphrases, write your copy, check and refine...

Others may differ of course but that is the beauty of SEO

Comment

I agree with DJ, 15-20 is too many and too watered down, if you are gearing a page to a particular product then gear the keyword phrases too. I am yet to find a page that realistically needs 20 keywords and more importantly can design a page around that many words.

But as with everything with SEO, someone will come along and say 'I do i can do that and prove it'.
          Get rolling the die or get paying, it's the only 2 options you have.

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
            I see you have quite a few single keywords...when you walk into a supermarket to buy a packet if crisps and cannot find what you want, do you walk upto the assistant and say "crisps"
            This was an excellent example and made me chuckle also, nice one DJ, top banana.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
              I agree with DJ

there is a first time for eveything

**only kidding leeski, only kidding**

Comment

I never thought we disagreed on much if anything?

**off to search for some tension on previous posts lol**

***i'm back, nope he talks a lot of sense most of the time***

Comment

But as with everything with SEO, someone will come along and say 'I do i can do that and prove it'.
                  Get rolling the die or get paying, it's the only 2 options you have.
                  Loads of free checking tools out there, best place to start is build you page, bang in your keywords and meta stuff, publish then pop over to widexl and see what they make of it

Comment

I never thought we disagreed on much if anything?

**off to search for some tension on previous posts lol**

***i'm back, nope he talks a lot of sense most of the time***
                    we don't just trying to get to 1600

keep us posted Kev.

Comment

Working...
                    X