Section List to include sub sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section List to include sub sections

Is it possible to show sub-sections in the main section list, with the main sections, and NOT to show the sub-sections in the body of the section page?

In other words, I want to group all sections and sub-sections together in the sidebar as if they were all top level sections.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes there is.

To clarify, you basically want ALL your section pages appearing the same in your left hand menu navigation? i.e. Like a site map on the page?

There is an Advanced User Guide sticky post at the top of the forum which shows how to style the sitemap, using CSS, to display all the sections.
    It would only require a minor modification to ensure that all the sections displayed the same.

Can I ask why you would want that? You are potentially confusing the customer with the site structure logic of your store. Just curious!
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

It might help if I clarify what I'm trying to do here! I sent a post a while ago about an issue that I'm still trying to make work and this is just a continuation of that.

What I want to do is to display a home page with a list of language options for books in different languages. Eg English language books, Polish, German etc.

If someone clicks on, say, English Language Books, they then navigate to the main section page for English books, with the Sub-Sections displayed in the sidebar, NOT in the main body of the page. Hence my question at the top of this thread.

There is an added complication. Only the sub-section names for English language books are to be displayed in the sidebar when in the English section. The Polish & German sub-sections are to be filtered out using a variable. In order to do this I guess that I must use sub-sections rather than just a lot of main sections, in order for the variable value to trickle down.

By the way, which 'sticky post' were you referring to?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
      Last edited by bookworm; 23-Oct-2007, 09:49 AM. Reason: adding a bit

Comment

If you take the logic of this post
        http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=25477

i.e. highlighting the current section/sub section you are on

you should be able to make a condition that only displays the section and sub-sections in the menu IF
        Code:
        <actinic:variable name="SectionName" /> == <actinic:variable name="MainSection::SectionName" />
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Problem solved - many thanks.

However, there was one thing that held me up and I might have solved this a while ago had I noticed it so I'll mention it here for future reference.

I included this code in the sidebar to isolate different sections (as lifted from the AUG page about highlighting the current section):

<actinic:variable name="SectionNumber" /> == <actinic:variable name="MainSection::SectionNumber" />

When I first uploaded it I got an error telling me that the variable SectionNumber was being used out of context. When I took out 'MainSection' there was no error, although of course the code didn't then do what it was supposed to!

I went through the advanced guide step by step and noticed that I had defined the variable as being of type 'List of Choices' which made sense for my purposes. When I changed it to type 'text' all the errors disappeared and everything worked exactly as I wanted!

Anyone know why this caused an error?

Bob

Comment

Robert,

That was because 'List of Choices' is meant to work on a component/attribute/choice set.

Kind regards,
            Bruce King
            SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
            X