calling all perl wizards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calling all perl wizards

I'm trying to get a variable to print on the receipt page for tracking purposes, I want it be similar to NumericOrderTotal but be numeric for subtotal rather than the Total

AND I don't want it to include the comma - I'm happy to muck around in the perl - but would like a bit of a heads up on where to start.

just a brief description on which perl script to look in, and an explanation of how the perl takes Actinic Eight variables and then processes them.

ie - not asking for anyone to solve my problem for me (realise that you are all busy people), but would instead like a bit of a leg-up in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Wayne
    Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Just found this in the knowledge base re the roles of each perl script

http://knowledge.actinic.com/acatalo..._Perl_382.html

I know, I know - I should FTFM

possibly why no-one has replied however I would still like an explanation of how Actinic translates between perl variables and actinic variables, ie how do I correctly declare the new variable in the perl scripts so that I can reference them in the receipt page as a standard Actinic V8 variable.

<Actinic:Variable Name="NumericSubTotal"/>
    Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

digging around in the knowledge base, logic tells me it might be something to do with the

$ACTINIC::B2B->SetXML('PURCHASEORDERNUMBER', $::g_PaymentInfo{'PONO'});

lines - I'm going to experiment to see if the SetXML() function creates the Actinic eight variables.

I'll report back.
      Wayne Theisinger

Comment

Did you try searching? I looked for variables in cart and found many posts. E.g. http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28914 has a little demo of doing it for a Product variable.

And http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=25883 has some Cart related info too.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

thanks Norman - yep I did - but I want to go the other way.

ie - not from a Actinic Variable to perl Variable

but from a per Variable to Actinic Variable this is because SubTotal is generated by the perl scripts so if I want to manipulate it I need to do it in the perl and then output it back to the receipt page HTML

This is a less common requirement I think being as i wasn't able to find reference to it. Though I haven't tried as yet I think it might be the SetXML function.
          Wayne Theisinger

Comment

My second link above / last post may help a bit.

Comment

erm... interesting - I think that you are suggesting that I use javascript to manipulate the values (don't think that the mysql portion of the thread is relevant here)

This would of course be a good way to go. HOWEVER, my affiliate network wishes me to present a <noscript>tracking info here</noscript> tag and this by it's nature needs to be server side, AND being as I can only get the page to be parsed by one server side technology this will need to be done within the perl (i.e. a php include won't work).
              Wayne Theisinger

Comment

Ah... light dawns

it's not that it's sql - it's that you've passed to a php page..

and then present the no script in the php

Genius!!

well done Norman
                Wayne Theisinger

Comment

Thinking about it - though it's a really good suggestion it has one snag

the browser is going to be expecting an image to be returned - If the php page instead generates code - its going to break things.

Nice idea, but I think it's back to the perl
                  Wayne Theisinger

Comment

I'd definitely do this in Perl. The posts were only intended to give you an idea where to look.

BTW You can also run some remote PHP (even on Perl generated pages) via

<script type="text/javascript" src="myphp.php"></script>

and the PHP returns the text e.g.

var myvar='whatever you want';

Comment

Norman you're a star - that's the most useful thing I've learnt in a long time.
                      Wayne Theisinger

Comment

It's useful.

I was recently working on an add-on that allows up to 15 images to be uploaded with a product (e.g. personalise a calendar) and the PHP that manages this returns an array containing the current list of uploaded filenames.

Comment

Working...
                        X