E-mail confirmation of order and order alert e-mail problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-mail confirmation of order and order alert e-mail problem

I am still having problems with setting this up. I am with 1 and 1 and have entered SMTP as auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk both with and without authentication (e-mail address and log on password), auth.oneandone.co.uk authentication box not ticked, no username or password and ticked with authentication details, and localhost with and without authentication.

The error message is: The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.

Is there any where other that network set up that I need to check the address? I have also turned off Norton and am definitely connected.

1 and 1 have said Actinic is third party software and cannot help. They say that auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk is the correct SMTP address.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Sharon
    www.jellyonthenet.co.uk
    http://www.jellyonthenet.co.uk/
    Green Jelly - For an eco friendly childhood
    Cloth nappies, accessories & complimentary products

I would be astonished if correct settings for 1&1 are not already in the forum to check against, probably one of the most spoken about hosts. Try a search, I'm sure you will find them.

If no luck, then you could show us your network settings so we can see what you have done wrong. Probably a good idea to do it in the most apt forum too (upload problems), never know it might help someone else in the future.

Comment

auth.oneandone.co.uk authentication box not ticked
      Try auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk with no authentication as this has been posted as working many times before on the forum. I use that setting too with no problems.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I tried that - it didn't work.....

Comment

Sharon,

It's probably worth trying again (note the .smtp. bit) as this is what we're all using on 1and1.

If you can't get it to work then your best bet is to log a support request with actinic.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
            Sharon,

It's probably worth trying again (note the .smtp. bit) as this is what we're all using on 1and1.

If you can't get it to work then your best bet is to log a support request with actinic.

Mike
            I'm with Sharon on this one but I think I may have cracked it. I was tinkering with various settings and 1and1 wouldn't play ball...at least according to Actinic. I got an error message each time I ran the test. I was also getting an error message when I tried to send a message from the 'Contact Us' page on the uploaded site.

So I double checked the SMTP Server name - I'm sure it was correct, but you never know - and blanked both Username and Password (I had stuff in there in desperation). I then unticked the 'Username and Password Required' box and clicked apply.

Interestingly, at this stage I still could not test successfully, but I uploaded the site nonetheless. Lo and behold I can now send emails from the site and when I go back in to test the site settings, all test OK.

Having recently installed one of Norman's excellent add ins and having discovered that sometimes Actinic needs to be told twice (good docs Norman!), I have just come to the conclusion that there are some bugs in the machine and stuff perhaps gets cached or just stuck. The pedantry around the correct setting followed by the upload seems to have cracked it, at least for me. Now I plan to leave well alone!

Hope this helps Sharon.

Cheers

Iain

Comment

I'm pretty sure that when Sharon corrects the typo in her auth.oneandone.co.uk to the correct auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk then that "The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server" error will go away.

However clearing out the username / password boxes is also worth trying if she's still getting problems with the corrected server name./
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Sorry - it was defintiely auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk I tried (typo in original post) and it didn't work.

However - thanks Iain for the advice you are a star! - I cleared the entries in the username and passwork boxes then unticked (although I had unticked it there was still text present - but greyed out). With the clear fields the test has worked! As Iain says it must be a bug in the program.....

Thanks guys for your help - I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X