Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site deployment

Hi guys,

I've just started with Actinic, but I found not where information on how to deploy it.

What can of web server does it need, and from what I looked it uses C Cgi's, what about the database, how is this handled?

Thanks in advance,

MeTitus

Actinic is best hosted on a Unix/Linx Server, although it will also work on properly configured windows.

You need your own CGI- bin, the database stays on the desktop PC, actinic uploads HTML pages to the server

Why not search the forum for recommended hosts...

Comment

What can of web server does it need
      Its all on the Actinic website

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
        Actinic is best hosted on a Unix/Linx Server, although it will also work on properly configured windows.

You need your own CGI- bin, the database stays on the desktop PC, actinic uploads HTML pages to the server

Why not search the forum for recommended hosts...
        But it is an embedded Database right, cause I havent seen any reference to otherwise.

Thanks,

MeTitus

Comment

The online pages are static pages. The database resides offline - there is no online database.

Comment

Is it also possible to change the FTP settings under the Advanced Network Setup tab using Actinic Trial... I am asking this because the fields are disabled.

Once again thanks,

MeTitus

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
              The online pages are static pages. The database resides offline - there is no online database.
              The products, invoices, users have to be saved somewhere and of course the database has to be online otherwise the operations would not be possible. I mean on the server side where are the data being stored.

Thanks,

MeTitus

Comment

All the data is stored offline. Very little info is stored online apart from some logon account info and the orders.

Orders are downloaded into Actinic and you process the orders offline, similarly stock quantities and account info is only updated on an upload from Actinic. Product info is stored is stored along with all configuration etc offline in an Access database then processed and uploaded as static pages and scripts.

Actinic only resides on the local PC.

Comment

rtfm.

BOOM HEADSHOT!

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
                    rtfm.

BOOM HEADSHOT!
                    My dear friend there is no need for that.

Normal eCommerce sites have a back end database, thats why I asked that.
                    Sorry for my questions.

MeTitus

Comment

BTW I would read the manual if I had time, I am a full time Software Engineer, and I am doing a Masters, unfortunatelly I was mislead in one of the subjects I am doing, and now I am stuck, since I have have to use Actinic...

But anyways, if I really had time I would, problem is I already have tons of ongoing projects.

MeTitus

Comment

Normal eCommerce sites have a back end database
                        Actinic DOES NOT have a serverside database

I would read the manual if I had time
                        Sadly you are digging yourself a big hole, you will not learn Actinic without reading the manual. Its not an easy app to pick up, so the slow sure route of reading is the only option

Comment

These is the information I need to put on the forms:

Server Host: actinic.gre.ac.uk
                          Username: username
                          password: your password for the CMS Labs
                          Path to CGI-BIN: /username/cgi-bin/
                          path from CGI-BIN to Catalog Directory as viewed by the FTP Server: /username/acatalog/
                          The "Use Passive Transfer Errors" box should be unticked

But all of this is disabled, I have no where to put this. In my Uni we have the software and I am able to do this there, but I downloaded the trial so that I could work at home, but some features are disabled. I didn't find any place saying there would be restrictions while using the trial that why I am asking.

Thanks,

MeTitus

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                            Actinic DOES NOT have a serverside database

Sadly you are digging yourself a big hole, you will not learn Actinic without reading the manual. Its not an easy app to pick up, so the slow sure route of reading is the only option
                            Well what I have to do is not that difficult or at least it doesn't seem so, so I will have to tried doing it in stages, and I still have two months to do it.

MeTitus

Comment

but I downloaded the trial so that I could work at home, but some features are disabled
                              NO they are not - you are in trial host mode - its in the manual which is on the Actinic website

And all your qestions have been asked before - use the forum search facility

Comment

Working...
                              X