X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v7 to v8 - should I or shouldn't I?

Hi everyone

I'm struggling to find the answer to the question above

I use v7 which works, almost all of the time without fail.

However, I'm tempted by the best seller features in v8, the better SEO and the little things like adding an surplus amount to certain items for shipping, I sell some items that are expensive (£200+) but only weigh 60g and I'm having to send them Special Delivery and I loose out on the shipping.

Firast question, can I upgrade my v7 easily? I use the best seller theme, is it the same? I don;t want the hassle of having to list every item and its components/attributes again, the upgrade must be easy!!

I use SecureTrading/ Streamline so thats not a worry I can configure than easily

Also is v9 coming soon? Should I wait?

Answers gratefully received as I'm gong grey(er) wondering what to do.

Download the V8 trial and try the upgrader - that is the only way you will know. Upload to your test space and check it works. If its standard V7 theme then it should go ok - once upgraded apply a V8 theme

Comment

The upsell features in v8 make the upgrade cost insignificant - you should be able to claw it back in double quick time. The whole v8 experience is, on the whole, much better than v7.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks guys, exactly what I needed to know. Also when is v9 going to rear its ugly head? Should I wait or will there be bugs with it that I should avoid as there can be with new versions.

Or will there be any new features that would be worth waiting for? As I said v7 is going OK, just a bit featureless

Comment

No sign of v9 yet .. Actinic are typically on a 24 - 30 month version cycle but promised a quicker release for v9 ... after the release debacle of v8 I hope they are not going to rush through v9.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Or will there be any new features that would be worth waiting for
            Actinic are not letting on whats in V9 and it will be several months before its released as jont says. There will almost certainly be bugs - not as many as V8 I hope but I would plan on mid 2008 before it is stable IF it is released in the spring.

If V7 works for you then stay with it if you can afford the upgrade the it will certainly be worth the expence and effort. But software is like all IT stuff you could wait forever as the next version is always round the corner

Comment

If they learned anything from V8 it is to TAKE YOUR TIME RELEASING BOYS...

No brainer IMHO, get your v8 site rocking on test then switcherooney, you will not look back. V8 is certainly more stable now and more suited to easier coding integration/design overlay than V7 ever was, so why wait?

Go on, you know you want to.
              Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
              Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
              X