Cannot get to Checkout page if Javascript turned off in browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot get to Checkout page if Javascript turned off in browser

If I turn Javascript off in my browser the checkout pages do not work.

I can browse the shop OK and add items to the basket etc, but when I click the checkout button I am left at a blank screen.

I looked at two of the featured shops in Actinics list and one worked fine with Javacript off and the other was the same as mine and left me at a blank screen just after clicking the checkout button

Best Regards,
    Derek

Can you post the links to the stores that do and don't work with js off?

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
      Can you post the links to the stores that do and don't work with js off?
      Hello, thanks for the reply

I hope it's OK to post these, I assume they're happy as they've got their links on the Actinic example sites list, but in any case I'll remove the links when you've seen them as I wouldn't like them to get more test traffic than they already get

These work with Javascript off
      (removed now no longer needed for the example)

This one does not work with Javascript off
      (removed now no longer needed for the example)

On each site, I placed one item in my basket, then viewed the basket so I was at the screen where you can save, delete, etc, and then clicked "checkout now"

With Javascript turned off, only the first two sites took me to the address entry screen. the other showed me a blank page

Best Regards,
      Derek

Comment

I can also simulate what you are saying - sorry I can't figure out why mind.

Hopefully someone else will.....

Comment

The 3rd site (the one where checkout does not work with javascript disabled) is using a shared SSL certificate, where the others are not.

The SSL is invoked when someone enters the checkout stage, and the browser is redirected to
          [deleted at Original posters request]
          i.e. a different domain.

I think the javascript is involved in handling the transferring between the two domains and hence, when disabled, stops the normal checkout process from operating.

As to how to resolve it...... get a full SSL for the domain you are on or enable javascript! Is there a reason why you need it to work without Javascript enabled?
          Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
          Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
          SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Originally posted by fergusw

As to how to resolve it...... get a full SSL for the domain you are on or enable javascript!
            Hello.

My domain has it's own SSL, here is the url while viewing the checkout
            http://www.domain.co.uk/cgi-bin/cm000000.pl
            and here is the url after clicking "checkout now" with Javascript on
            https://www.domain.co.uk/cgi-bin/os000000.pl
            With Javascript off, I see a blank screen.

Actually, I've looked at the source of the blank page and it contains a "on load" javascript refresh so perhaps I could add a "click here if not forwarded automatically link" to the code so that it appears on the page

Is there a reason why you need it to work without Javascript enabled?
            I've taken considerable time to make my site function without scripting for people who browse with scripting off and although I agree they are in the minority at the moment, it will only take one big scare which uses scripting to make many more people turn it off and then my shop (any many others) will stop working.

Best Regards,
            Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Dex
              Hello.

My domain has it's own SSL, here is the url while viewing the checkout
              http://www.domain.co.uk/cgi-bin/cm000000.pl
              and here is the url after clicking "checkout now" with Javascript on
              https://www.domain.co.uk/cgi-bin/os000000.pl
              With Javascript off, I see a blank screen.
              Dex, from your earlier post I assumed that the third link provided was actually your own site, hence my suggestion for resolution.

Upon checking again it shows that this issue appears for sites who utilise SSL in checkout pages. It is safe to assume that there is a degree of Javascript being implemented during the transition from non-SSL to SSL, presumably to maintain cart/cookie information.
              If you are using full SSL then perhaps the Actinic developers need to stop by this thread and add their input as to what is happening at checkout transfer to SSL and to suggest a workaround for you (apart from disabling SSL obviously)

Originally posted by Dex
              I've taken considerable time to make my site function without scripting for people who browse with scripting off and although I agree they are in the minority at the moment, it will only take one big scare which uses scripting to make many more people turn it off and then my shop (any many others) will stop working.
              I can understand your fears however internet technologies are taking javascript more and more seriously. Just look at the burst of AJAX functionality throughout the internet. There are of course security implications, but the responsibility for security with scripting vulnerabilities sits with web developers and specifically the browser developers e.g. IE, FireFox etc
              You can guarantee that before the "big scare" even makes its way round the internet the IE and Firefox developers would have patched the vulnerability faster that you can say "bounce me to the checkout".

People browsing the web with scripting turned off are possibly either overly paranoid or sufficiently lacking in the confidence of their own local security measures and practices on their own PC and are more than likely not the kind of people to comfortably enter Credit card details online and hence not shop with you.

Just my tuppence. I am sure that some others on the forum might be able to enlighten us on this subject further.

Sorry not to be able to give you a simple solution to this issue.
              Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
              Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
              SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

People browsing the web with scripting turned off are possibly either overly paranoid or sufficiently lacking in the confidence of their own local security measures and practices on their own PC and are more than likely not the kind of people to comfortably enter Credit card details online and hence not shop with you.
                I started writing something to the same effect and then scrapped it, cos this guy has his reasons, however misaligned i think they are. People worried about Javascript are not the target audiences for ecommerce sites, as you rightly say personal details are far worse.

There are just far more other important issues to be spending/wasting ones time on IMO.

Javascript is taking off big time at the moment and is definitely here to stay, hopefully you haven't got mixed up with Java, which is something very different and can have concerns.

Comment

IMO people who are scared to turn on Javascript and also too scared to be online shopping.

I am pretty sure recent stats show that 96 plus% of browsers now have JS on.

Comment

Derek,

It's probably now been brought to Actinic's attention (or email them and do so yourself). It's the sort of fix that's best left to them.

I'd forget about it for now as only around 6% of browser visits have JavaScript disabled (and some of that lot will be robots, etc). If a fix turns up in a future update then that will be nice but only have minor real-world effects.

We often get people here who take on enormous challenges for little gain (demanding 100% validation; completely table free sites; etc). However such effort is often irrelevant to the purpose of the site - selling something.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hello.
                      Thanks for the replies, it's reassuring to have such fast help and also to have a wide range of views on a subject.

I have to agree with some of the replies, people with Javascript off, probably wouldn't use their card online so it's not as much of an issue as I thought it was when I first saw it, though it is an issue for anyone selling via mobile devices that don't run it

I found a KB article under
                      Knowledge Base > Version 8 > HTML and Perl > Advanced Script Changes
                      http://knowledge.actinic.com/acatalo...383.html#a1029
                      which helped, and after editing the Perl file accordingly, I know have a click here button which shows up on non JS browsers. I think it's worth the trouble to add it.

Thanks again
                      All the best
                      Derek

Comment

Working...
                      X