No announcement yet.

new spam tactic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've looked at the captcha suggested earlier in the thread, and even the developer says only use it as a last resort. I often struggle with them myself as the text is so obfuscated you just end up having to ask for another one, and I also feel it could be offputting to someone who genuinely wants to contact the store. I just wish there was another answer. My spam filter can't even stop them as it is hard to define a rule - they come from an approved IP address too (mine!). I'm on V9 now - hadn't realised this was a V8 thread so it's an issue that's been hanging around a while.
    Martin
    Modelmotorracing.com : Web services : Twitter

Comment

The hard to read captcha forms are a PITA but they do sift out the not really bothered people. I like the idea of them, whether they are used to check if someone can read or do basic maths, both are prerequisites when speaking to my patience levels. I'd actually prefer an IQ test on a captcha form.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good one that works well on the Actinic contact page then...?
        Martin

Comment

i use this one

http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/...cript/#more-35

you can see it on the contact page at pinbrook.net - it doesn't use one of those unreadable images, just simple numbers

Comment

an alternative method would be to validate the form and bar any html in the comments box

although we didnt do that, we just ignore it and delete the emails, a bit of a pain in the butt of course but then so are capchas

Comment

I'm just trying to implement the php formmailer now. For the life of me I can't find where in Actinic to tell it to make the "contact us" link go to the new contact.php page I've created rather than the mf0001.pl page, any ideas?
              Martin

Comment

you should be able to find it in the 'Navigation Bar Layout' in Design > Library

Comment

I was looking for somewhere to change a variable within Actinic but gave up looking and just hardcoded the path to the php page in the contact page layout, overtyping the Actinic variable. Form seems to work OK so hopefully that will be the last of these irritating spam forms.
                  Martin

Comment

Working...
                  X