Duplicating the Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicating the Header

I'm currently building a site for a customer that is going to be dual branded. They are selling CD's and DVD's and will dividing the site in 2, with one side selling the CD's and another the DVD's. This means I need to create a new HeaderArea (I've created a custom layout for the header based on nothing in row 1, nav bar in row 2) and I'm really having some trouble.

Obviously, if I modify the design it changes it sitewide, so I need to find a way of duplicating the headerarea and changing the colours/buttons/logo etc...

Seem to be going round in circles at the moment so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Charles

Create a second layout with altered header, or two header layouts. Or one layout using blockif tags and a variable you can select which header the page uses.
    Peblaco

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I have done (I created a new overall layout) thinking I was on the right lines. If I then try and modify the headerarea it changes it sitewide? Should I have duplicated the headerarea too, and if so how?

I'm not exactly keen on going down the blockif route as I'm not remotely code minded!

Cheers
      Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Charlesn
        Thanks for the reply. Thats what I have done (I created a new overall layout) thinking I was on the right lines. If I then try and modify the headerarea it changes it sitewide? Should I have duplicated the headerarea too, and if so how?
        well yes, because I'm assuming your "new" overall layout is using the same header layout as the "old" one.
        You need to create a second "header" layout (Design > Layout...do a copy of the one in use and rename it something distinctive) and insert this into your "new" layout.
        The problem with this is that all its contents will be the same (variable/layouts etc) so you'll need to make versions of these for your new header if they are going to differ (the logo, for example)

Originally posted by Charlesn
        I'm not exactly keen on going down the blockif route as I'm not remotely code minded!
        Might be the time to start! It'd be a MUCH quicker way to do it, if you can get your head around it
        Last edited by TraceyHand; 11-Nov-2007, 03:46 PM. Reason: dodgy grammar!
        Tracey

Comment

darnit...Louise said it quicker lol

but see, we agreed
          Tracey

Comment

Working...
          X