Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving sites folder "auto back up"

not sure if this will make sence

i would like to have a live back up of my site folder, i have a terastation which would give me a back up. so i was hopping just to move the sites folder to that location and map to the folder.

can any see a problem with this.

upgrading that sort of thing?

is there a better solution out there.

leave the site1 fodler alone, and set your backup routine to copy it to your backup device at regular intervals. (also set it to keep x back copies of files)

Comment

Go with Jo. Moving your site folder to the Terastation isn't giving you any backup security. You would have increased your chance of failure (Actinic one 1 system and your Site files on another).

Keep Actinic where it's meant to be and use the Terastation for backup copies only.

When you close Actinic you are prompted to make a Database backup or a Snapshot. You could keep either of these on a different area on the Terastation for extra security.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

ok leaving site one alone.

the snap shot option is to slow, 1 or 2 hours just to do that is painful. if i left it to do it after work you can bet it would have a error,

i quess what i need is some software that is automated. backing up every few hours in the day. to the terastation which is set to back up the back ups

having a few hard drives go down i found you cant have to many.

Comment

i quess what i need is some software that is automated. backing up every few hours in the day. to the terastation which is set to back up the back ups
          i used to use a nice bit of shareware called Second Copy i think it is about $30 to buy (30 days trial too). I always thought Second copy was simply xcopy with a nice GUI - but it works. And restoring is easy too. Don't forget your backup routine is only going to work if the restore works too

Nowadays I use the software that comes with my online backup as it also has the ability to copy locally too.

Why not investigate something like Mozy as this is a popular budget online backup facility that might also include local backups too.

Comment

If the Terastation didn't come with any sheduled backup software then Acronis True Image 11 may be worth trying. It allows both drive imaging (great for disaster recovery) and sceduled file / folder backups.

It has a 15 day trial mode.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
            X