Update for my site is very unreliable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update for my site is very unreliable

When I 'Update' my site to change or add pages, it is normally successful, but too often it gets stuck in the middle of sending files. It seems to occur more when the internet is busy. I use 8.5.0 and the application completely hangs in the middle of sending files. Actinic crashes in the 'Not Responding' state. Any suggestions?
    www.p2d.co.uk

It could be a design problem, it could be crap connection speed, it could be crap hosting. So many variables. Make sure it passes the network test ok and try upgrading to the latest version. Who are you hosted with?

It could even be in the wrong forum.

Comment

Too many imponderables at this stage. Have you tried the old basic, compact the db etc?

Once we have more info as above, we could assist further.
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

I use Clook as my host. The network test passes OK. I will try upgrading and compacting the databases.
        www.p2d.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by p2d Insoles
          I use Clook as my host. The network test passes OK. I will try upgrading and compacting the databases.
          new one on me.

Let me know how you get on...
          Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
          Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

It seems to occur more when the internet is busy
            Its down to your server and internet connection - christmas is comming and already things are starting to bog down.

Comment

My website host suggested that I tried 'Passive FTP Transfers'. This is a tickable box in network set-up. I did not have it ticked. When I do a network test it works for both passive and active ftp. I have not yet had a failure since ticking 'passive ftp', but as it was an intermittent problem I will have to wait and see.
              (I have hardware and software firewalls, one of which may have caused a problem with ftp transfers. My website host, clook, provides a very good service and nearly always responds to email support request within 20 mins.)
              www.p2d.co.uk

Comment

The passive FTP solution usually works, you often need this with a hardware firewall. (It's recommended by Actinic in the help section). If you upload very large file on a slow dial up connection it might happen as well.
                Steve
                www.Kitchenwareonline.com
                Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

We've been having a similar problem that seems to be getting worse over about 4-5 weeks. When we update the catalogue, we keep getting the message;
                  "An FTP error occurred. Error: The operation timed out" after every attempt to send a file.
                  This only used to happen occasionally, and when I click retry it'd go through. Now it's stopping on every single file update and not clearing. Checked with hosting company, Streamline, who say that they can FTP our site, I can from an FTP programme no problems. I've got Enhanced FTP checked, if not, what I find is the update seems to go through, but pages won't load, likewise if I got to HTTP update. Network settings test o.k.
                  Not sure if it's Actinic or Streamline??

Comment

Working...
                  X