IE displays site properly but Firefox won't - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE displays site properly but Firefox won't - please help

I'm having problems with our soon-to-be new site's "personalise" section in IE 7 and Firefox 2.

I can't seem to get the layout to look right in Firefox, although they are perfect in IE. As you can see from the attached pic they are really messed up when viewed in FF. I'm aware that IE is very forgiving with script errors, unlike FF and Safari (which probably looks the same, I didn't test it on the Mac today).

I was told to check the CSS but if I remove any modifications I made (one <script>...</script> and one small .css file) the problem persists. I haven't modified the actinic.css file at all. I don't think it is the CSS, but rather a setting in Actinic somewhere. It's really bugging me!

The URL of that page is: http://www.chilledprints.com/acatalog/perstest.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt.
    Attached Files

I was told to check the CSS but if I remove any modifications I made (one <script>...</script> and one small .css file) the problem persists. I haven't modified the actinic.css file at all. I don't think it is the CSS, but rather a setting in Actinic somewhere. It's really bugging me!
    i think it fair to say the errors are user generated and not Actinic Per Se.

You have created a custom layout, thus you can not simply say because you haven't changed actinic.css it can't be a css issue.

As with all CSS issues - you are advised to download the firebug extension for FF and debug using this very effective tool.

Comment

Using Firebug add borders around your tables and then start stripping code out to see what is causing the problem.

Comment

but rather a setting in Actinic somewhere
        There are no settings in Actinic that will cause this to happen

Comment

You have created a custom layout
          As jo says - looking at your code it is far from standard actinic.

Comment

or....

you could save the custom layout to a new location and then revert back to factory settings then apply your changes 1 by 1....

labourious but just chucking in a new option for you to consider...

if it were me, I would be debugging with FF pronto.

May only be one badly declared style, an open div, wrongly declared float or something very simple so do not despair....
            Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
            Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

There's something else fishy on that page in IE7. When hovering above any of the links alongside the pictures in the middle section then all the links show hover state.

Probably something related to the input form, or a missing </a> tag perhaps.

EDIT: On looking further I see there are also a couple of erroneous tags on the page: an extra </span> tag and an extra </table> tag. Neither of which I would expect to cause this problem mind.

Comment

The CSS and HTML has several errors, floats not cleared, incorrect tags may be causing issues.
                Peblaco

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

After using Firebug I tracked that the problem was self-inflicted, caused by me messing about with layouts a while back. I've now created copies of the original layouts and re-tweaked them without making the same errors.

It was something to do with class="content_left" and class="content_right". These were for products that were intended to be listed in columns (unlike this one) and after every instance of them the browser would assume that a new column should be started. After making a copy of the layout and completely deleting the block of code around these, the problem was resolved.

Matt.

Comment

Thanks Louise you beat me to it! Didn't actually spot your post until after I posted my last one.

Matt.

Comment

Working...
                    X