v8.5.2 of Actinic available as a full release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v8.5.2 of Actinic available as a full release

v8.5.2 of Actinic is now available to download as a full release from http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/downloads.htm

Details of the changes in this release can be found in http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/changes_v8.htm

Note for Actinic EPOS Users

The Actinic-EPOS Link is not yet compatible with 8.5.2 - there are a few last minute changes being made to it. So if you are using the EPOS Link, please do not upgrade yet.

Shared SSL Users

If you use Shared SSL provided by anyone other than Actinic, it's worth checking with them before you upgrade, as they will have needed to upgraded their Shared SSL details to work with 8.5.2.

About Patches

You can only use a patch to upgrade if you are already on 8.5.0 or 8.5.1. However, I would always suggest downloading the full version of 8.5.2, no matter what release you are on, as you will get all the latest help updates and so on.

Upgrade Process

Here's what I usually do, and it works fine:
    1. Take snapshots of all your current site(s) and copy them somewhere safe.
    2. Go to 'Business Settings | Ordering' and select 'Suspended' at the top left.
    3. Upload your stores. This will remove the add to cart buttons from your store during the upgrade. You can replace the 'CATALOG SUSPENDED' text with something else by going to 'Design | Text | Web Site (cont) | General Information'. - An alternative to doing all this is just to upload a holding page in place of your store - this can take less time.
    4. Wait half an hour and then download any orders that might have been placed in the last half hour.
    5. Close Actinic
    6. Install a full version of 8.5.2 over the top of your current installation. There is no need to uninstall first.
    7. Once installation is complete, open Actinic and you'll see your database upgrade.
    8. You'll then be asked what you want to do with any layouts that both you and Actinic have edited. You can either select the bottom option - to ignore Actinic's edits (there's nothing terribly important) or else select the middle option to add in Actinic's changes to your library without affecting your store.
    9. Then check the preview - if it all looks good take off the suspend and refresh the store.
    10. Place a test order.

It might be an idea to wait till after the Christmas rush to do all this. Our support team will be around between Christmas and new year if you get stuck.

USA VersionOur distributor in the US does his own testing after we release it in the UK. This is just because they have written all sorts of custom plug-ins that they want to make sure will work. So you need to contact Sure Solutions http://www.actinic.us/ for details.

Comment

Might be an idea to post the method for those people who have script mods to save having to re-do them. (I don't need the help myself, but I know its a pain when you `forget` and have to search back to find how/what you did when the modded thingys get over-written).
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Agreed, I always manage to forget about at least one script mod when I upgrade. Knowing which scripts have changed and which hadn't would help hugely!
        Cheers

David
        Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

I have to admit that very thing is putting me off upgrading to 8.5.2 right now
          Tracey

Comment

I think unless you have a specific issue then upgrading before christmas is mad! Think I will save that joyous occasion from when I come back in January!
            Cheers

David
            Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

The dragging and dropping sections is a big one for us, I `lost` quite a big one a couple of weeks back and it really annoyed me at the time. My own fault, as it was proven to be something that was untrustworthy.

Pity the `going to the product rather than the top of the page preview issue` has not been cured. Thats something thats continually frustrating me. Best workaround is to turn off preview, do a page of products, then turn it on again and check each image again. (Regenerating each page after adding each product then scrolling down to each item is a tedious operation).
              Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Re script mods. I'm afraid that every Perl script has changed (most are only a single-line as Actinic seem to have switched to a new version number scheme). However many have a significant number of alterations.

I use the excellent open-source Winmerge ( winmerge.org ) to compare such stuff.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman

Does this mean we will need patches for your add-ons before upgrading,

James
                  www.butterflies-healthcare.co.uk
                  www.viteyes.co.uk - vitamins for macular degeneration
                  www.natorigin.co.uk - natural/organic cosmetics and skin care for sensitive skin & eyes
                  www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk - eye drops, vitamins and other eye care products
                  www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk - optical and prescription swimming goggles

Comment

If their Zipfile contains PerlScripts (*.pm or *.pl), then yes. If no Perl scripts are involved they should upgrade OK. I'm slogging my way through the lot right now so they should all be available soon.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Labels & upgrading

Hi,

just a heads up to those upgrading. If you use a non standard addressing labels eg. Intergrated Labels free labels with shipping Instructions (great producst BTW) the upgrade process over rights it and puts the default one back.
                      This maybe obviuos to many but might catch out some (like myself). Just download and reinstall the label template again and all OK.

Matt
                      Matthew Wildeman
                      www.bigmatts.com
                      2XL to 8XL Menswear

Comment

Hi all,

is this also an upgrade to the 'actinic designer' software?

many thanks

Andrew

Comment

is this also an upgrade to the 'actinic designer' software?
                          Yes - it's an upgrade to all Actinic's desktop products: Catalog, Business, Business Multi-Site, Business Multi-User and Designer

Comment

I am probably going to sound like a real idiot here, but when you upgrade to version v.8.5.2, does it make changes to the database. We currently have a few reports and queries in our Access file, and I'd hate to lose them as some took me ruddy ages.

Thanks.

Comment

Copy them then and be sure, the fields that you are using will not change, more likely to have new ones added if anything. As with all upgrades, backup before you try.

Comment

Working...
                              X