The Great Big Register User Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Big Register User Question

Ok, here is the thing, I know there is no official way to allow a user to set up their own account as the Db is offline.

What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to have an online db as well that just captures the registeration info from the user, which is then inserted into the Db in actinic and then the actinic site is updated/refreshed using a scheduled task every hour/half hour or something.

Would this be in anyway plausible or doable?

Our customers need to be able to register online and give their own passwords.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

Definitely possible, but you'd fall over at the costs to create this for you. It'd be cheaper to change ecommerce packages, no matter how big your site is.

Setup a dummy product on your site at no cost which captures all the info required, you can even prompt for the password under SSL. Download the order and create the account from that (quick and automatic process) and then email them back with details. Either do that or move packages, i see no other options.

It's a rough and ready way, but it is also the current best way of using Actinic for account creation. Example.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Perhaps you could use the account generator, which can be found at

http://www.codepath.co.uk/actinic_plugins.htm

Not tried it myself, but it's a step in the right direction for you.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
          Setup a dummy product on your site at no cost which captures all the info required, you can even prompt for the password under SSL.
          Hi Lee,
          Sorry to drag this topic up again but do you think you could elaborate a bit on how to prompt for the password? (or point me in the right direction if it's already been posted )

I followed the instructions I found on this thread
          http://community.actinic.com/showthr...assword+prompt

But couldn't find a file called Act_Order02.html, I'm using Version 8 (Designer with Business Client) so I'm guessing that file has changed?

Comment

Originally posted by bentleybloke
            Perhaps you could use the account generator, which can be found at

http://www.codepath.co.uk/actinic_plugins.htm

Not tried it myself, but it's a step in the right direction for you.
            Thanks I may download it and see what it's like

Comment

You can auto generate accounts from our order processing system as well, once someone has placed an order, you can ask it to export the details in the correct format to import to Actinic to create (or update) a user account based on the email address etc.

We use it for our integrated labels site (www.integratedlabels.co.uk), everyone on this site has a login created and it saves a lot of time for us. We used to have a dummy product on there for account updates as well but it's gone somehow, so I'd better put that back :-)

You can find more details and a free trial at this URL :

http://www.mole-end.biz/acatalog/One...ssing.html#aQO

To change the checkout pages in V8 by the way, you go to the design tab and then select the appropriate page from the drop down in the topmost window on the left.

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Jan

To change the checkout pages in V8 by the way, you go to the design tab and then select the appropriate page from the drop down in the topmost window on the left.
                Ooops I'm pretty sure someone told me that before!
                Thanks for reminding me, I feel silly now

I will check out that link too.

Comment

Details are also in the AUG or Knowledgebase as far as I remember - but my advice is dont do it as people dont like it

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                    but my advice is dont do it as people dont like it
                    Why so?

Just curious, I want to get as much info about this as I can.

Thanks.

Comment

because its a pain in the arse - then they forget thier logins and either go somewhere else or email you all the time for them. Actinic is not good in this area and if you are doing it it needs IMO to be a server based solution where they can mange it themselves and get instant responces. If they have to wait for you to finish your tea then you will loose business.

The login feature in Actinic is only really useful for wholesale sales or the like I NEVER use ti for the general public.

Comment

Most of our customers for integratedlabels.co.uk are businesses and they don't seem to much like it either, even though by logging on they get a discount and access to free software. I would say that over half of our customers don't bother to log in when they re-order.

It's very useful for us though, for phone orders because we just login as the customer and then have all of the address details and customer pricing options there to use.

Regards,
                        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

If i ever had to log in or register with a site to use it, i would never visit the place again. If i choose to register and want to log in, then fine, but having it mandatory is madness nowadays IMO.

Comment

Well on our site it doesn't have to be mandatory just handy for regular customers to not to have to enter their details each time.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                              If i ever had to log in or register with a site to use it, i would never visit the place again. If i choose to register and want to log in, then fine, but having it mandatory is madness nowadays IMO.
                              If it was optional and you got a discount for doing so would you login?

I have to admit that I will only create an account to shop if I really really need the thing I am trying to buy - most of the time I will just abandon the cart when I realise that login is mandatory. I am happy to login, if I'm not forced to ... perhaps that says something about my personality :-)

If you only want logins for a few regular customer Claire, the easiest way to create the account is to open up one of their orders, go to the customer tab and use the create account button to create the account based on the details in there.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X