Copying actinic (and site) to a 2nd computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying actinic (and site) to a 2nd computer

Hi, if I have understood correctly duplicating my (offline) website to a 2nd pc goes basically like this...
    ------------
    1/Install latest version of actinic on new comp
    2/copy 'site1' folder from old comp over to new comp (in same file location)
    3/update network settings (if needed)
    (orders are not yet present on the system)
    ------------
    Is there anything anyone can advise or correct me with here please?

An accompanying concern is the new comp will be running v852 and the machine I will be bringing my 'site1' folder over from currently runs v852 that has just written over 851 so I presume (hope!) this should not cause any problems?

Quite a basic procedure to some no doubt - but any advice/pointers would be gratefully received. Cheers. Sean

(both PC's run WinXPpro)

You should creatre a snapshot on your old computer and after installing Actinic on the new computer import this snapshot. You shouldn't need to copy the Site1 folder - that said I often do, but I always import a snapshot after copying the folder as well. The snapshot also contains some registry and security settings that are not in the Site1 folder.

Comment

You need to install the same patch version of Actinic on the target machine as per the existing.

As Duncan points out the snapshot route is the safest and amazingly the easiest route... upgrade the existing to the version you want before doing the snapshot to install on the new machine (obviously take working snapshots of the old site before upgrading if you need to roll it back).

Network settings etc are brought over in the database contained within the snapshot.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
        You shouldn't need to copy the Site1 folder
        Thanks Duncan but my 'images' folder is contained in the 'site1' folder so wouldn't it be necessary to copy over 'site1' as well as importing the latest snapshot? - (unless the snapshot carries all images as well?)
        ---------------------
        Originally posted by jont
        You need to install the same patch version of Actinic on the target machine as per the existing.
        So basically Jont you'd reccomend an install of the older 851 on the new pc and then proceed to install the update patch 852 (writing over 851) instead of just setting up fresh with 8.52 - if i've understood that right.

.....aside from this I uploaded to my hosts' server today with v852 and got CGI execute errors immediately - this eventually ironed out (not quite sure how!) the strange thing was that testing the settings via Network Setup and Configure Web Site details seemed fine (?) - my host had not changed permissions - also the final 'merge' of the site files was also giving errors that prevented successful upload. I concluded that it would have been better to wipe the site of all contents and send up afresh. I wonder if anyone else has had CGI upload issues with and upgrade to v852?

Cheers, Sean.

Comment

(unless the snapshot carries all images as well?)
          It does.

Don't bother installing older versions and then updating. Just install the same version on the new as the old and then import the snapshot.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by sean_jackson
            So basically Jont you'd reccomend an install of the older 851 on the new pc and then proceed to install the update patch 852 (writing over 851) instead of just setting up fresh with 8.52 - if i've understood that right.
            No - upgrade the old site to v8.5.2... create the snapshot ... install v8.5.2 on the new machine ... install the snapshot..... both machines are now on the same version.

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

A snapshot only saves the images that the program has actually used. I scan my images for my products in batches and then place them in my images folder within Actinic, ready to be used when I enter the new product. Any images not yet allocated to a product would not be saved with a snapshot.

Andy

Comment

Working...
              X