Order e-mail notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order e-mail notifications

Hi all, I've searched the forum already and while there are several responses to similar questions, nothing has solved the problem, so here goes..
    I've 5 small sites, all hosted by Simply.Com/Namesco. All use the same e-mail settings, but the most recent site doesn't send any e-mail confirmations despite ticking the boxes in Business Settings. I've checked the relevant mailboxes with my host, tried several variations, and checked network settings in Actinic- I get the usual "if your settings are correct you should receive an e-mail confirmation shortly" but nothing comes through, and the customer does not recieve an e-mail note either. The only difference with this site from the others is that we're using Actinic's own SSL rather than that supplied by Simply. My network settings are below:
    HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 346
    SCRIPTEXT .pl
    SMTPHOST localhost
    WEBSITEURL http://www.makeitnow.co.uk
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP false
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME
    SMTPPASSWORD
    CATALOGURL http://www.makeitnow.co.uk/acatalog/
    CGIBINURL http://www.makeitnow.co.uk/cgi-bin/
    PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST ftp.makeitnow.co.uk
    FTPUSERNAME
    FTPPASSWORD
    PATHTOCGIBIN web/cgi-bin/
    USEPASSIVEFTP true
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

I've checked spam filters etc.. can anyone help? I'm probably missing something very obvious!
    thanks in advance,
    Ben
    Ben
    http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Whatever the problem is it isn't obvious to me. Everything seems to work Ok and there's nothing in your error log that looks relevant. I've placed a test order and it all looks OK but as you say, no email.

I'm not sure what you're saying about SSL as there's no SSL operating that I could see (or SSL network setup).

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

its Actinic shared SSL - working.

I'd contactyour host.

Comment

e-mail notification

thanks Mike, Jo- I'll see what the host says and post once I've got a solution in case it helps others.
        All the best
        Ben
        Ben

Comment

I have a 'Sendmail' edit for the ACTINIC.PM file that will use Sendmail instead of SMTP. I can send you a copy to try if you want.

The edit of for V8.
          Regards,

Les

Abc Baby Gifts
          Snuggle Feet
          Baby Casting From My Perfect Impression

Comment

They've already got 4 sites working with their host, just having a problem with the 5th.

I would avoid script changes where at all possible especially for sending email. SMTP is such a basic function that a host that can't provide it reliably is best avoided.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

The 'Sendmail' edit is only a quick fix. The edit is from Norm's Drillpine site.

http://www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuf...eadoOfSMTP.txt

Trying to get a host to fix an Actinic SMTP prob can take ages sometimes. The edit is simple and works well and has helped loads of people out in the past.

Sendmail is more reliable than SMTP anyway.

It's up to you.
              Regards,

Les

Abc Baby Gifts
              Snuggle Feet
              Baby Casting From My Perfect Impression

Comment

e-mail issues

Thanks Les,
                I'm pursuing it with the host at the moment, but they're not exactly being helpful...

"Hi, We host thousands of sites, many of which send emails through forms and scripts and nobody else is reporting issues, so it may be an incorrect setting in outlook."

Hmmm.... I'll keep you posted....
                Ben

Comment

e-mail notification

Solved it! Still unsure why it happened, but I input my smtp details in instead of localhost and it's working fine. No thanks to Simply.com who were basically uninterested. I've a mate who's offering a new hosting service using 100% renewable energy, with guaranteed uptime, for not a lot more than I'm paying now, so time to switch I reckon.

Thanks to all on the forum- as always your speedy responses are much appreciated!

Ben
                  Ben

Comment

I have exactly the same problem after the hosting company moved my site to another server. I have tried Fairyglass's solution but that hasn't worked.

I looked at Norman's fix, but in it he is talking about v5 and v 6 as we are now on v8 I don't know if I can still use the fix.

Any help from you knowledgeable folk would be much appreciated.

Jane
                    Jane Thurnell-Read
                    200 Plus Weight Loss Tips

500 Plus Health And Happiness Tips

Comment

The Actinic.pm file is very similar. Backup your Actinic.pm file and try the updated one attached which is patched per Norman's site.
                      Attached Files

Comment

tried this and got the merge error on upload. Compacted databases both in Actinic and Access, rebooted computer but still got error messge, so reinstalled original Actinic.pm file and the upload went fine. (Thanks for reminding me to back that up before I started).

So, I'm back to square one. Do I need to do soemthing else as well as overwrite the Actnic.pm file. I'm using v8.5.0 - should I upgrade to 8.5.2 and try again?

Thanks as ever for your help, Duncan.

Jane
                        Jane Thurnell-Read

Comment

the first thing to do is contact your host, as they have moved you to another server it is more likely a host issue that is best resolved by them rather than script changes that you will have to continue to maintain through patches and version upgrades.

Can you send and receive using Outlook?
                          What happens if you send an email from within Actinic (ie order shipped - test it by sending to one of your own email addresses that are not on domain)

Comment

I've solved this, so I thought I'd post what was wrong, in case it's of help to anyone else in the future.

the email I was using for sending emails (in Business Settings/ Company contact info) was not within the domain of the shop (it was an email for the order fulfilment house I use). This was no problem for the old hosts, but presumably the new one is being vigilant on the anti-spam front. As soon as I changes it to an email connected to the domain everyhting worked fine.

Jane
                            Jane Thurnell-Read

Comment

Working...
                            X