X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, I can't open Actinic

Hi, i received the following error,

There was a problem with the database

Operation: Moving through the [ProductProperties] table where [nType] <> 3 sorted by [nSequence]

Data truncated.

Action: Contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropriate

I cannot open Actinic, any ideas?????
    Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what?... Wait!...Where are you going?

I'd Contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropriate if i was you.
    Maybe worth searching the forum to see if happened before, i can't recall seeing it though.

Comment

if you have microsoft office - make a copy of the database first(!) then open the database in MS Access - then go Tools -> Databse Utilities -> Compact and Repair Database.

Hope that works for you...

Comment

You will need to contact Actinic or your reseller and see if they can fix this for you - the message is saying that you have a product property that is too long, the only way to fix it up will be to find it and make it shorter in the database.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi, compacted the file and it made no difference

I compacted Actinic Catalog file and it compacted it ok, but it still doesn't work.

Comment

As Jan says then, "the only way to fix it up will be to find it and make it shorter in the database".

If you're happy to make database amendments (NOT RECOMMENDED!!!) you can open that table, find the product that has the spurious data in it and try to change it (shorten it). You should only do this if you are VERY familiar with the Actinic Database - any changes you make can make things worse...

Probably better to "Contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropriate"...

Comment

Hi Jan

Actinic really were not very helpful, wanted to put me through to sales to buy the cover!

As regards the actual error which field should I look in to fix ( I have already copied the whole actinic file elsewhere in case of problems)

would the error be in ntype or nsequence or somewhere else in the file?

Comment

The dump file is not much help either it looks encrypted, either that or its jut gobbledygook

Comment

Were you making a duplicate product when it crashed?
                  Tracey

Comment

You can get online support from Actinic without subscribing to cover. Just register the request here: http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm

Mike

IIRC Actinic support are supposed to tell you this. I wonder why they didn't?
                    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Actinic really were not very helpful, wanted to put me through to sales to buy the cover
                      Well you cannot expect them to do it for nothing - thats the idea of cover. If you dont have a support contract with your designer/reseller then when things go wrong and you need help you will have to pay.

Comment

Denise

Whatever you do, can i give you a firm suggestion to steer well clear of the database, no seriously i mean it, steer clear for heavens sake.

Comment

I do appreciate that you pay for cover if you need help with using Actinic, e.g. setting up, design, useage. These are all things that if you read the manual or take advantage of this really great forum, you can find out for yourself.

However if there is a problem with the actual program, and something corrupts then don't you think it would be reasonable to have at least limited advice for critical situations.

I use many other software packages and none of them corrupts, to be honest the amount of times Actinic crashes on me is unbelievable, I find I am always having to compact and re-compact databases if I make any changes.

This software was not cheap and I feel if it has problems like this, then it should be the responsibility of the people who designed it to make sure it works properly.

Of course, if they did find that it turned out to be my problem that had taken up their time, and not the software itself, then I should expect to pay for their time.

But if the software itself is corrupt, I don't actually think this is very fair.

Comment

I have to say I have never understood why, when an issue like this causes so much bother, Actinic don't just make it impossible to enter too much information in that particular field! Or am I missing the point?
                            Cheers

David
                            Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Oh come on Denise that is one of the most one-sided arguments i've ever heard. 1000's of people use actinic and i cannot ever remember seeing the same problem before. It's not rocket science to work out you yourself have buggered something up, you've been fumbling around with things for quite some time. I'm not against that at all, it's how we all learn, but if you trash it and can't fix it, you gotta be prepared to get your hands down to your ankles and part with some cash.

A support contract is a great option for you at this time, V9 will be launched in next 12 months probably, so you will get a free upgrade also.

Comment

Working...
                              X