design tab / view business client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

design tab / view business client

Here's an interesting issue I've been troubleshooting for the last couple of days.

Produced a site using my actinic designer and deployed to a customer pc using their actinic business client key. All went well and the customer has been happily using the site. I've been providing remote support, tweaking here and there including using the design tab to make changes.

Then I get a support call the design tab is missing. Took a look. Checked it out and true - as reported no design tab! Lost a day of my life (wished I should have taken another career...) and followed a few ideas in the forum, delete this registry key etc.. to no avail. Imported the snapshot onto my design - all ok design tab visible. So then I upgrade.. and put the customer key in my designer and voila - no design tab, put my designer key in and hey presto - a design tab. So now we have the cause!?!?

Upon checking the text on the business client page of actinic I find theres no mention of design where as there is in the actinic business version. Thats great but...

The design tab _HAS_ and _WAS_ working prior to this support call, I know as I used it myself in the customers business client version. I also know that the customer was using the business client key and not my developer key as there was no nag screen on the orders tab, so clearly it was the client key in use.

Has this functionality been culled in an upgrade/patch? Has anyone else been able to use design tab in a business client?

I can see theres the price difference between the business and business client but I would have thought the price difference was met by the fact that designers are likely to sell more licences hence the reduced cost. The design tab is useful in the business client especially for remote support. I accept its nice to keep the customer out to prevent any 'breakages' but to have them email me a 5mb snapshot for each minor change request is too much especially if I am out on site working from a mobile phone.

The only workaround I can see at present is to remotely upgrade the customers actinic using my developer key to enable the design tab and then make the changes and then upgrade again with the customers actual key at which time the design tab goes. What a pain when the design tab was there and usable.

Does anyone else have any experience of this or any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Shane

If you read the deatils of Business Client the reason it is cheaper is that it does not have design functionallity

Comment

Taken from Actinics website:

Based on the award winning features of Actinic Business the Business Client provides ease of use and advanced functionality in the areas of order processing, product catalogue management, marketing, customer management and back-office integration, whilst leaving the site design in the hands of the professional web designer
      Not much trobleshooting needed really

Comment

And a forum search http://community.actinic.com/showthr...catalog+client

Comment

Hi Mal,
          Thanks for your input!

I'd kind of ended up at that conclusion as per your comments. However I know the design tab was working even though it would now appear it should not have done.

A most unusual case.

TTFN,
          Shane

Comment

However I know the design tab was working even though it would now appear it should not have done.
            They may have been running the software as a trial which would have allowed the design tab to work but when they entered the authorisation key it would have removed the tab.

Comment

Working...
            X