Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Free Gift to Basket Automatically

Hi
    I've searched and unable to find any solution to this problem so far.
    It's even on the wish list.
    Does anyone know of a workaround please?

We simply want to put a competition entry into the basket once £50 has been spent.

We would prefer customers did not have to click on a link in the shopping basket, then add to basket.

Thank you in advance
    B
    www.outbackdirect.co.uk
    www.sipuk.co.uk
    www.ryobidirect.co.uk

Hi Bea,

I dont know of a work around for this at the moment. It would need quite a perl mod to be able to do it. I will add a vote on your behalf to the wish-list entry.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Bea,
      We have actually implemented this kind of feature into Actinic already.

It's functionality is a bit basic at the moment. I'll see if the team can shape something up to show you working online.

Basically, it utilises Javascript to monitor the cart contents and automatically adds a predefined product reference to the cart once a certain limit has been reached. It also uses cookies to track and ensure no duplication of the addition of the "free" product.
      You would have to "code" the product reference yourself - this would probably involve simply adding it into an Actinic User Defined Variable. There is ever scope for allowing a tiered level of products i.e. Add product A if cart between £20 - £30, product B if between £31 - £40 and so on.

Would you be interested in seeing something like this working online?
      Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
      Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
      SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Does anyone know if a solution is possible for this. At the moment we are having to make the free gift -1p! which looks well odd!!!

Cheers D
        Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Fergus, that sounds like a nice function you've got. Any chance of sharing it?

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike,

We have a basic version of this working, however we have not pushed this any further as there was an issue with removing the item if the cart. Put simply, if the cart was updated and the value dropped below the trigger amount then you're still left with item in cart [not so simply: its very tricky to reverse engineer the remove from cart function using Javascript].

The upshot is, if you're happy with simply "add product reference to basket when amout goes over trigger level" even with the issue of it not removing then we might be able to help.

The only other option is, as Bruce mentioned above, to get dirty with Perl.
            Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
            Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
            SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

I can see the problem. It's quite easy to add something to the basket, but you do need a 'housekeeping' function to manage the item once it's their and make sure it's removed if the trigger condition is no longer met.

It should be quite easy to remove the item from the session file. Can you trigger a PHP script from within javascript? (and even then what would prevent someone from triggering the free stuff and then turning off javascript once it's been added to the cart and removing everything else).

I guess the only real answer is to do this in perl and built it into the cart scripts.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
              X