Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The Client Entitled To Actinic Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is The Client Entitled To Actinic Software?

Hello
    I produced an Actinic E-Commerce Website for a client that I no longer wish to do business with. Are they entitled to the software Actinic V 8 that I used to produce the site. My opinion is no, as I don't think I can just give her the software as it is not legal.
    Can someone provide an opinion.

No I would say not but it will depend on your agreed scope of supply with your client. From Actinic's perspective each domain needs it's own licence. Your client would always have had to have at least a client licence to run the store.

I would expect your client will need to purchase Actinic catalog or business depending on the features required.

Comment

My opinion is no, as I don't think I can just give her the software as it is not legal.
      this depends on a few factors - what variety of actinichave you used?

if you are built the site using multi site for example and are still using multi site for other clietns then you keep it and your client will have to buy their own copy.

however if you developed in catalog or business - then as Dunc says - the license is for the domain and yes for the sake of goodwill you should let your client have the copy - this again depends on how you quoted in the first instance. Personally i always buy the software on behalf on a client or they buy it themselves - and the software goes into the quote and is released to the client with the finished job.

the website is useless without the software. so if you want to part company with the client, the client needs the softeare.

However your best bet is to confirm this with Actinic - whom i expect will just ask for the clients detail to re-allocate to the license key.

Comment

Working...
      X